We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visas no longer being issued at the border

england
Level Contributor
7 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Visas no longer being issued at the border

Some info for people planning to travel to Moz. All visitors (exc Botswana, Malawi, Mauritius, Swaziland, SA, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe citizens) have to have a visitor visa before they travel. This has been confirmed by the FCO and the Moz Embassy in London. There are reports of visitors being turned away at the border.

If you are in the UK visit the Moz embassy website and download the form. You can apply by post and they say there is a 3 day turnaround. Cost is £40.

We only found this out through a confirmation document issued by some accomodation that we have booked.

Maputo, Mozambique
Destination Expert
for Mozambique
Level Contributor
972 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visas no longer being issued at the border

Hi Sally,

This information is not entirely accurate. Mozambique has started clamping down on illegal immigrants. Immigration is now enforcing a long standing law that says that if a visitor has a Moz Embassy in their home country they should get one before coming. THIS IS DEFINITELY ADVISABLE. But if you can't, don't panic, essentially you only have to prove as you enter the country that you are coming for tourism purposes. How? Show your accommodation bookings, show you have an air ticket to go home. You accomm bookings should be in tourism places....not one month in Maputo for example, or Tete!

People are indeed being turned away, it's on the news constantly. But they are generally Portuguese, Pakistanis, or East Africans who evidently are coming to Mozambique to work.

To check if you have a Embassy in your home country this site has a thorough list:

mozambicanhotels.com/tourist-information/moz…

Ridgewood, New...
Level Contributor
26 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visas no longer being issued at the border

I crossed from Zimbabwe at the Machipanda border in mid-February and purchased the visa at the border.

Maputo, Mozambique
Destination Expert
for Mozambique
Level Contributor
972 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visas no longer being issued at the border

Thanks for the confirmation Joe, as I've mentioned a few times on this forum, the new Mozambican imigration changes is to stop illegal immigrants, largely Portuguese and west Asians who come to Mozambique as a 'tourist' and then end up working. The proper process is to apply for a business visa that they are not doing.

If you are obviously a tourist (with a backpack, return air ticket, accomm bookings etc.) the changes will not affect you. But of course...it is safer to get your visa before arriving.

Tampere, Finland
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visas no longer being issued at the border

I will be crossing from SA at Kosi Bay on the 28th, anyone been through there recently? How long does it take to get the visa in Johannesburg?

Maputo, Mozambique
Destination Expert
for Mozambique
Level Contributor
972 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visas no longer being issued at the border

Are you South African? South African's don't need visas for Mozambique. Please see this page that explains everything you need to know about visas into Mozambique.

www.mozambicanhotels.com/tourist-information

To get it in Pretoria (not Jo'burg) takes one day. You leave your application before midday, and then come back to pick it up in the afternoon.

Getting a visa at the border now if there is no backlog takes only about ten minutes. If you go during peak times it can take much longer.

Tampere, Finland
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visas no longer being issued at the border

Thanks OzzieInMozzie! No, I'm not South African, so I do need a visa. Is it not possible to get one at the Joburg consulate then? According to this page they have one in Rosebank:

http://www.embamoc.co.za/contacts.htm

(however, I haven't been able to reach anyone there to check, so Pretoria is probably a safer bet?)

Edited: 4:06 am, March 16, 2013
Maputo, Mozambique
Destination Expert
for Mozambique
Level Contributor
972 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visas no longer being issued at the border

Hi.

As far as I know the consulate in Jo'burg closed, but I could be wrong! I have personally been to the Embassy in Pretoria so I can vouch for its existence! ;)

It is pretty easy to still get your visa on the border as well. If you've got a day to burn in Pretoria it will save any stress

Tampere, Finland
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visas no longer being issued at the border

I got my visa from Pretoria to be on the safe side. I dropped off the application in the morning, and they checked that everything was in order before sending me to FNB to pay. It cost R600 - it would have been R650 at the border, but since I was crossing during the Easter holidays, it was nice to not risk a longer wait.

9. Re: Visas no longer being issued at the border

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 06, 2014