We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on mozambique please - bazaruto or quirimbas?

Level Contributor
11 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
advice on mozambique please - bazaruto or quirimbas?

Hi,

We are hoping to spend 3 weeks in mozambique as part of a longer africa trip. We are looking for great beaches and diving but don't want to destroy the finances! We are planning to go up from Maputo to pass through Tofo, Inhambane and surrounding beaches and up to Vilanculos.

We wanted also to do a few nights on a larger budget in order to see and dive in either Bazaruto archipelago or the Quirimbas.

Do you think that either Bazaruto or the Quirimbas are substantially better than the other in terms of beaches and diving? The transport up to the Quirimbas is likely to cost more as we don't have a car and will be flying/braving public transport.

Also is Mozambique Island worth the journey up there?

I'd be grateful for any advice you could spare us. Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Maputo
Maputo
Maputo Province, Mozambique
Tofo
Tofo
Inhambane Province, Mozambique
Vilanculos
Vilanculos
Bazaruto Archipelago
Bazaruto Archipelago
Bazaruto Island
Bazaruto Island
Bazaruto Archipelago, Mozambique
Mozambique Island
Mozambique Island
Nampula Province, Mozambique
Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on mozambique please - bazaruto or quirimbas?

Bazaruto Islands and the Quirimbas are way more expensive than normal beach accomodation than in say, Vilanculos, Tofo or Xai-Xai.

But it is much more elitist, exclusive and luxurious.

The question is simple: do you have money to burn? Then go to the Bazaruto islands.

If not, fly to Inhambane, Tofo, the very quiet Inhassoro or the very busy Vilanculos. I personally am very fond of a lodge called captain Lee lodge in Inhassoro. I have been there more than once. You fly to Vilanculos airport and arrange with Captain lee lodge to pick you up at the airport.

Last time I was there I paid about $120 per room.

But before you decide on anything, please study the Moambique forum carefully first.

Roads north of xai-Xai is inacessible for anybody but the very brave at the moment, and public transport is not recommended.

You have to fly where you want to go if you are going north of Xai-Xai.

Edited: 8:22 am, July 30, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Bazaruto Island
Bazaruto Island
Bazaruto Archipelago, Mozambique
Vilanculos
Vilanculos
Tofo
Tofo
Xai-Xai
Xai-Xai
Gaza Province, Mozambique
Level Contributor
11 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on mozambique please - bazaruto or quirimbas?

@Navigator31 - thanks very much for the advice!

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
20 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on mozambique please - bazaruto or quirimbas?

Hi,

I have loved Island of Mozambique, from my point of view one of the most unforgettable "city" I have ever seen. But that's not a classical touristic place. An old capital, in ruins, on a tropical island linked to the continent by a narrow bridge, surrounded by a coral reef, overpopulated by very poor people, a strong community without violence and with no thief, a lost city... If you are going to the Quirimbas, don't forget to spend there a couple of days (it is enough), that's the best advice I can give you!

Tristan

Mentioned in this post
Monkey Bay
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: advice on mozambique please - bazaruto or quirimbas?

Expensive that’s crazy!

You can't compare Tanzania to South Africa.

Mozambique coast line is 3500km long

Southern Mozambique is Tofo, Inhambane is very busy, the spring board from South Africa The Shangane Land

Central Mozambique is Bazaruto Archipelago

Northern Mozambique is Ilha de Mozambique, Pemba and Quirimbas Archipelago - The Makonde Land, Historical Gold & Slave trade

There are backpackers all the way, at Ilha de Mozambique is Ruby Backpacker: ruby@TheMozambiqueIsland.com

Pemba Dive backpacker pembadive@gmail.com go on their web www.pembadivecamp.com to “Getting There” cost of trip by air, car or bus. Ibo Island Miti Miwire www.mitimiwere.com then go and

camp at Matembo Island and Pangani.

These are safe and untouched places.

Have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Tofo
Tofo
Bazaruto Archipelago
Bazaruto Archipelago
Pemba
Pemba
Cabo Delgado Province, Mozambique
Ibo Island Lodge
Ibo Island Lodge
204 Reviews
Ibo, Mozambique
5. Re: advice on mozambique please - bazaruto or quirimbas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 14, 2011