We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel By/bus car from Beira to Maputo

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Travel By/bus car from Beira to Maputo

Hi,

I need some tips regarding traveling by the coast via EN1 from Beira to Maputo during 2 weeks.

Is it the best option to rent a car or can we use the Bus, "Chapas" for it, stoping in Inhambane, Tofu and Xai Xai?

Additionaly if you please give me some advice for renting a car in Beira City.

Muito obrigado

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
73 posts
37 reviews
1. Re: Travel By/bus car from Beira to Maputo

I'm kind of hijacking your post here but we're thinking about doing pretty much the same thing. The main reason we would be going to Beira though is just to pick up a 4x4 and then drop it off at Maputo. Haven't heard too many good things about Beira and I'm wondering is it a waste of time going that far North for this purpose or is there anything to do/see around Beira or on the drive from there to Vilanculos?

Would we be better off just taking buses the whole way down and flying into Vilanculos instead?

And also what's the security situation with 4x4s there - dont want to be constantly worrying about a car?

Thanks guys!

HSA

pretoria
1 post
2. Re: Travel By/bus car from Beira to Maputo

no probs with 4x4 as long as u drive during the day regions away from main cities..beira is quieter and ppl are warmer than other places.the best prawns u find there in beira..vilanculos good beaches and further north..pemba,quirimbas, the best and hottest beaches in moz.instead of taking 2weeks doing beira-mapto u could take 2weeks driving pemba-beira-vilanculos-mapto...

Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
3. Re: Travel By/bus car from Beira to Maputo

Hi - you can rent 4x4's from AVIS or IMPERIAL in Beira, but be warned it is not cheap and if you want to drop them off elsewhere - the drop off fee is very expensive.

You can use Chapas and they are totally fine. But don't travel at night at all - lots of cars travel without lights.

Beira is not a hub of excitement, but got a good jazz bar - ABC. Worth a visit. However, close to Beira is Gorongosa National Park - which is definitely worth a visit if you are in the area. Either stay at the national park's camp Chitengo or at the private safari camp in the park (unfenced) called Explore Gorongosa.

4. Re: Travel By/bus car from Beira to Maputo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, February 07, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Mozambique