We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap way to get to Mozambique?

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap way to get to Mozambique?

I'm trying to plan a trip for a group of mostly girls (7 of us, and only 2 are guys), we want to go to Mozambique for a week in Oct but we're sorta travelling on budget.

Fly-in options are expensive and we don't know whether it is safe to drive to a beach resort on our own. We don't have a resort in mind, as long as we are on the beach and it is clean and safe.

Any suggestions or advice?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap way to get to Mozambique?

Hi, doesn't look as if anyone is going to come in on this one so I will put in my bit. (I'm a Malawi man myself)

There will be I'm sure buses to Maputo from Joburgh.

As an alternative how about Lake Malawi? I know there are at least 2 buses per week to Lilongwe, and there are buses to the lake from there. Cape Maclear is a great backpackers area, with plenty of places to stay from cheap to not so cheap and as safe as you will get in Africa. Still unspoiled, with great diving and boating. As Lonely Planet says, people go there for a few days and stay for a few weeks.

Ivan

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap way to get to Mozambique?

Thank you, Mr Ivan... your answer doesn't really hit the jackpot but a good suggestion. I will suggest it to the group.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap way to get to Mozambique?

Have a look on the Tanzania forums, there is a post there from someone who has done Moz/malawi recently.

Ivan

4. Re: Cheap way to get to Mozambique?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 pm, October 22, 2009