We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Bilene

Phalaborwa, South...
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in Bilene

I'm going to be travelling from South Africa to Bilene for a week with friends so I wanted to know what activities or things we could do to keep ourselves entertained since I hear its a small town.secondlyI heard about Mozambican delicious sea food market so can we get that in Bilene or will have to travell to Maputo for that.lastly we also wana try shopping so are there clothing stores in Bilene or we still need to travel down to Maputo

18 replies to this topic
Matola, Mozambique
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Bilene

Hi,

Yes, Bilene is a small town, there isn't much in the way of shops, even for groceries your best bet is the small Shoprite out in Macia, about 20km from Bilene on the main highway.

To stay entertained you have a large calm lagoon to play in, and then if you get a boat out to the mouth there is turtle rock for a nice picnic. People usually go to Bilene for boat sports, fishing, and just playing in the water. Others like to rent quad bikes. There are a few hidden corners of the lagoon that are good for snorkelling but you'll need a guide.

Lots of fisherman will sell you seafood, take your own ELECTRONIC scales and make sure they don't change it from kg to pounds, a favourite trick of theres.

Maputo is a 4 hour drive away so you probably wont want to go there just to go to the fish market. Fish market in Maputo is a dangerous place to eat, people always get ripped off

Matola, Mozambique
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Bilene

DO you have your accommodation already? If not, all accommodation in Bilene can be found on www.mozambicanhotels.com/bilene-hotels

Phalaborwa, South...
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Bilene

Thanks alot.u always ready to answer to all our questions about Mozambique.i have booked at San martinho beach club so accommodation is sorted I'm just concerned about what we gona do to keep ourselves entertained because I was thinking we cud also drive to either Xai Xai or Tofo but I saw it's very far to just drive there

Matola, Mozambique
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Bilene

Yes, Tofo is quite far. And Xai Xai is only 2 hours away but there really isn't anything there that justifies that drive

Phalaborwa, South...
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in Bilene

Okay will just have to pass by Maputo on our way back to South Africa then

Nelspruit
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in Bilene

Ask some of the locals in Bilene where Sandy's Flip Flop Bar is. It is a nice place to relax and "kuier". She has kayaks that you can use to play in the lagoon. Sandy will also tell you the location of a lovely place to snorkel.

Phalaborwa, South...
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in Bilene

Okay thank you.will make sure I look for that place when I get there

Matola, Mozambique
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply