We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa on Arrival (VOA) to Mozambique

8 posts
Save Topic
Visa on Arrival (VOA) to Mozambique

I am a U.S. citizen and will be traveling to Maputo, Mozambique (i.e., Moz) in a few months. We're flying into Maputo International Airport. I will need to enter Mozambique twice - once on arrival and again after a S. African day tour. I recently saw that the Moz entry requirements changed in Spring 2017. National travel sites are reporting that Moz dual-entry 30-day visas are now being issued to all tourist upon arrival regardless if there is an embassy in their country of origin. The costs is $50 USD. See the Travel Weekly (https://www.travelweekly.com/Middle-East-Afr…) and this Moz Tour Coumpany located within that county (https:/…). I cannot call Dana Tours directly to verify the information, but they are advertising it on their company website as a way to boost tourism. Has anyone been to Moz lately and can verify that this arrival process worked at the airport for them? I emailed the U.S. Embassy Maputo Consular, and they confirmed the new requirements. However, the U.S. State Department has not updated their website with this new information. I'm trying to determine if I should get the visa before I leave the U.S. or wait until I arrive. I don't want to be denied entry, and I'm not sure why there is no official documentation on this.

16 replies to this topic
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa on Arrival (VOA) to Mozambique

Hi, entered via Vilanculos Airport 3 days ago, VOA was a simple formality, took longer to fill in form than obtain visa. US couple in front of us Had no problem. Make sure you have $50 in cash. Would ‘assume’ Maputo should be no different.

8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa on Arrival (VOA) to Mozambique

ACHandC, Thanks for your response. I'm glad to know you didn't have any difficulty obtaining the visa at the airport. Also, great tip about having cash on hand. I'll make sure we do the same.

Matola, Mozambique
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa on Arrival (VOA) to Mozambique

Hi Kelly,

There are a thousand streams about this question in this forum, we have confirmed a thousand times that there is no problem getting a visa upon arrival as long as you are indeed a tourist.

The price has varied a little over the last year but it's easy to get

See this article

mozambicanhotels.com/tourist-information/moz…

8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa on Arrival (VOA) to Mozambique

Hi AraujoMatola,

Thanks for your reply. I did not realize how often this question was posted. But, don't you wonder why it keeps coming up? I called the Embassy of Mozambique in the U.S. on Monday, and they told me that they have not been given any updated information about visas on arrival. They said I needed to apply through the U.S. prior to arrival. So between that and State Department not providing updated information on their website, I'm sure you can understand the confusion and concern. I'm looking forward to my trip, and I just don't want any entry issues. Thanks for sharing what you know with us.

8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa on Arrival (VOA) to Mozambique

AraujoMatola,

What is the current published price of the tourist visa in Meticals? You're article said 2085. Is that still still? Looks like the current exchange rate on 2085 mtn is $35 USD, not $51. I know Maptuo Airport accepts credit card and cash ($51 USD), but is better to pay in meticals? Any advice?

Matola, Mozambique
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa on Arrival (VOA) to Mozambique

Hi,

Yes, the confusion persists because Moz Embassies are lying to people about the visa requirements. This is to maintain their own income streams and the Moz Gov here in Maputo has complained about this and said they must stop this. It's a little embarrassing. The tail wagging the dog.

Visa is fixed now at $50 USD, the other day at Ressano Garcia border I saw the cost as $50, or 3000mtn, or 700 Rands. It makes no difference which currency you use as it's fixed to the USD now so when currency changes the metical price changes too.

8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa on Arrival (VOA) to Mozambique

That's sad to hear about the embassies! Thanks for the insight and vigilance in answering these questions from the other side of the ocean. It helps to get the inside story.

Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa on Arrival (VOA) to Mozambique

Hi there,

How is your visa affected if you leave the country for a day, for example, you take a day excursion to South Africa (e.g. to see Kruger) or go to Swaziland?

Any help much appreciated.

Best,

Ed

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
25 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa on Arrival (VOA) to Mozambique

I recently received a message from friends in Maputo, Mozambique, confirming that "visa on arrival" can be obtained AT THE AIRPORT ARRIVALS, with the right to 2 entries into the country, which would allow for an exit to visit to Kruger, or other place, then re-entry into Mozambique. However, they cannot confirm that you can do this if you are initially traveling into the country by bus. Those borders might only grant single-entry visas.

Matola, Mozambique
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa on Arrival (VOA) to Mozambique

You are allowed to leave ONCE during your 30 days.

See this article

mozambicanhotels.com/tourist-information/moz…

Reply to: Visa on Arrival (VOA) to Mozambique
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mozambique