We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Independent travel in December

Uk
Level Contributor
62 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Independent travel in December

HI everyone

My boyfriend and I are considering a 10 day break to Mauritius mid Dec to get a break before Christmas. We are the type of traveller that like to arrive somewhere with a only a vague plan and not book ahead too much. I am wondering if Mauritius is good for this type of holiday or is more of a big hotel all inclusive destination?

One other question is regards diving - some mention of cyclones in December make me wonder if the sea will be clear enough for diving?

Thanks

LUcy

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,190 posts
1,819 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Independent travel in December

Mauritius ranges from the large hotel resorts to good quality 3 star hotels with self catering private accomodation.

AI tends to be popular with British/European holidaymakers but HB tends to be recommended if you are staying at the big hotels.

December is peak tourist time so I would at least try to make arrangements before departure. The following is a popular website for self catering accommodation.

http://www.atraveo.com/

The water tends to be clear, the cyclones tends to takes place miles out of the Indian ocean but approach near land can bring high rainfall. Direct hits are rare.

2. Re: Independent travel in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 27, 2013