We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental for a week - choices?

Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental for a week - choices?

Hello again:

My brother and family (ages 40, 36, 8, 3) arrive in Mauritius on Monday May14 at 830am by Air Mauritius from Mumbai and leave on Sunday May20 at 635pm for Mumbai.

My brother wants to rent a car for the entire stay - from the airport itself. They are booked for the 7 days at Le Meridien Ile Maurice.

Can anybody suggest a preferred car rental agency at MRU airport - apart from the more expensive ones like Hertz and Avis. I assume the Indian driving license is acceptable? He also has a US license - does showing a US license (instead of an Indian license) help in any way? - maybe better rates (or higher?!!) ?

Also, with 2 kids age 8 and 3 - what would be the ideal car ? - may be a minivan type? Please advise ! - as sometimes the kids may go to sleep during a drive. So a 'larger' car may be preferable.

Finally - are automatic transmission cars commonly available? Manual is also ok, though.

Thx !

Kempton Park, South...
Level Contributor
251 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental for a week - choices?

Try this web site:

www.etours.mu

These people are very reliable and will be much cheaper than the big companies such as Avis, Hertz, Europcar, etc.

On the type of vehicle, sorry, can not assist. On manual or automatic, sorry again. Best bet will be to engage with Ebrahim of etours and ask about the driver's licence issue. The country of organ on the licence will not determine the price of car hire. A international driving licence might be requierd. And very important, it is amust that all car hire documents and drivers licence must be on the driver all the time when driving in MAuritius as police raodblocks are held frequently.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,021 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental for a week - choices?

Good advice from Johnny, we've used this car hire company many times and are very happy to recommend them also.

Not sure I would do the long and busy drive up the island and through Port Louis after an overnight longhaul flight though.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental for a week - choices?

Johnny, Mazza, thanks.

The hotel is almost a 60minute drive from the airport - this will be on a monday morning around 930am or so.

Will there be too much traffic etc thru Port Louis ? - anything we need to know?

Kempton Park, South...
Level Contributor
251 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental for a week - choices?

Kato

Expect Port Loius to be busy! That is certain. If you check with Taxismauritius (sorry don't have the web site address!) they can transport you for about Rs 3000 both ways (couuld be a fraction more if more than two passenegrs, I am not sure on the tarrifs). as Mazza said, it is a long flight and driving yourself will be tormenting, specialy through Port Loius. Ebrahim them will deleiverteh car to and collect ftrom your hotel as well at a niominal fee.

Viveiro, Spain
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental for a week - choices?

Well Tipoa Car Hire are based at the airport and offer an island delivery service (meet & greet). I discovered this a little late, after I downloaded their free iPhone APP which provided me with all their locations in relation to where I was staying. I stayed at the Anse La Raie - Le Meridien Hotel

http://www.iphonecarhire.com , if you want the app.

regards

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental for a week - choices?

From Le Meridien take a bus from the bus stand back to Pereybere. Try ARA cars there ... its local and cheaper, but then again, you're staying at Le Meridien. We stayed in Pereybere and used them about 7 days out of 3 months. I echo others on driving around. It sounds easier than it is.

Edited: 9:40 pm, March 03, 2013
7. Re: Car rental for a week - choices?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 05, 2014