We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling in Mauritius

CED
Hayling Island...
Level Contributor
73 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkelling in Mauritius

We are planning to go to Mauritius in February and would appreciate some advice on hotels with good snorkelling directly from the beach. Also, can anyone tell us where the best snorkelling spots are to be found on the island.

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling in Mauritius

Forget about snorkeling just off the beach. The water is so warm it turns the sand into mush and makes it hard to see anything down below.

My advise....take a tour to Ile aux Cerf. You will need to take a boat out there from Pointe Maurice or Trou D'Eau Douce

(about a 20 minute ride). Certainly one of the best beaches on the whole island. Not too sure about hotels as we stayed in a holiday house at Cap Malheureux, on the northen tip of the island. But One&Only Le Touessrok is next to the island. Be prepared to spend $$$ to stay there though. Pure indulgence !!

Mentioned in this post
La Pointe Villas
La Pointe Villas
96 Reviews
Mauritius
england
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling in Mauritius

The water is so clear I can count all my toes and other people's too! You can snorkel just about anywhere, one thing though, cover your back with plenty of waterproof suncream, my brother was so busy following the fishes his back got badly burnt. the south is best for marine near Le morne, the north is also brilliant, watch out for jelly fish, ask the locals about them as they are poisonous,good thing they are mostly out at night. Most hotels can give advice.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling in Mauritius

Hi there

You can snorkel almost anywhere, I have been to Mauritius twice now, scuba dived and snorkeled, its been fab!! Water is clear as daylight, I never saw any jellyfish, even while diving. The Sofitel Imperial on the west coast is fairly nice, if you give me an email address i can mail you a picture of a Lion-fish i saw while snorkloing off the beach at the Sofitel Imperial.

Went to Le Telfair in May this year, it was awesome there too, each hotel does have a glass bottom boat that goes out to a reef twice a day for snorkeling too, but you can snorkel off the beach if you want too. I did, actually at the sofitel I snorkeled off the beach and swam out to the edge of the reef, and over it into the deep sea, it was awesome and a bit silly as the tide was going out. Quickly swam back over the reef again.

P

Mentioned in this post
Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa
Sofitel Mauritius...
2,197 Reviews
Mauritius