We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in August?

Cornwall
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Weather in August?

Hi, we are planning to book our honeymoon soon for August 2009. Our only concern is the weather. We understand that August is not the best time to visit as it can be fairly windy on the beaches? It would be nice to do a bit of swimming and snorkelling. Our other worry is that it will be cloudy all day for 2 weeks and we won't see any sunshine at all! Can any one give us any advice please?

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
46,140 posts
132 reviews
1. Re: Weather in August?

If you stick to the west, north west and north you will be fine. These areas are relatively sheltered from the trade winds that blow on the east coast, and to a lesser extent, the south. You may get sporadic showers and some odd cloud, but on the whole its less rainy than summer. You would be very unlucky to not see sunshine in two weeks! Sea temps are lower than land temps of 21/27C but once in the sea you are fine. Go ahead and book it; don't worry.

Best wishes.

Bronia

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
254 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Weather in August?

Congratulations ! Bronia is quite correct, avoid the east coast. I have been for the last two Augusts on holiday, and I loved it. Great weather and I am going back again this August fingers crossed !

Cornwall
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Weather in August?

Thank you both for your replies. I have read that the average temp is only 18-24 degrees! I really hope that this info is wrong. In your opinion is it warm enough to sunbathe? I don't normally enjoy sunbathing that much but after the stress of the wedding it would be nice to relax. Also do you know if the sea is rough or choppy at that time of year? The photo's all look very calm but I have seen video footage of rough seas (maybe this was the east coast). I have also considered Mexixo for our honeymoon but the risk of the hurrican has put me off.

Thanks again.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
46,140 posts
132 reviews
4. Re: Weather in August?

The temps on the coast differ a lot from the inland plateaus where the main towns are and the weather is surprisinlgy different, as Mauritius has a microclimate. If its 21/27C on the coast and dry it can be 17/24C and raining inland. Everytime I go to Curepipe inland it rains! One minute you are driving in sunny weather and next you hit cloud and rain, but that is mainly inland. You will get the odd shower, so take a brolly (I always do) but they don't last long. The weather has been odd recently. Last year in May we had some high 3 metre waves in the south and west, and the press were saying its maybe global warming. They have just had flooding. (See Youtube videos) Mauritius is in a lagoon surrounded by reef, and you are sometimes warned not to go out in open seas in bad weather, and sometimes in the lagoons. But generally you can swim and get a tan! Cyclonic activity ends early May, but then its windy on the east coast, so avoid there. Even if cloudy you will get a tan as the sun is strong. But you will get sun.

No guarantees though!

Regards,

Bronia

5. Re: Weather in August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:22 am, September 24, 2009