We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poor weather

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Topic
Poor weather

Went first 2 weeks oct, stayed west side, weather overcast the whole 2 weeks, locals say summer does not really kick in till Nov Dec, very disappointed.

14 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poor weather

Yero I'm not sure where exactly in the west side you stayed but it hasn't been completely overcast the whole two weeks. I have been here since the 1st week of Oct.

Sure it has been some days but once the cloud cleared the skies were blue and it has been hot.

Edited: 11:38 pm, October 21, 2017
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
44,963 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poor weather

When in October did you stay?

All this October has been brilliant weather - sunny and hot. Temps touching 33C in Port Louis the other day and 31C coastal areas. It feels like summer to me and I've been here since 31st August.

Mentioned in this post
Port Louis
Port Louis
Mauritius
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,963 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poor weather

Meant it reached 33C in Riviere Noire not Port Louis the other day - which BTW is west where you were at La Pirogue.

Why didn't you post on the weather thread while you were here if you felt you had bad weather?

Mentioned in this post
Port Louis
Port Louis
Mauritius
La Pirogue Mauritius
La Pirogue Mauritius
3,629 Reviews
Mauritius
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poor weather

We've been staying in the north, we've had great weather. Couple of overcast mornings with a little rain but other than that glorious hot sun!!! The last couple of days have been windy but it's a nice relief from contstant heat.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,963 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Poor weather

Natalie - did you manage to source some antihistamines?

Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Poor weather

Oh I didn't, everything was shut and by the following the day the itching had lessened. I've braved it out and have just realised that my thank you message didn't send. However, all but one have started to heal up so I'm going to have to keep an eye on that one - blinking mossies!! Thank you for asking. :)

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Poor weather

Very odd about the weather. We were on the north west coast in mid September and had superb weather barring one windy day. Lovely and hot while we were there. There is often quite a bit of cloud cover in Mauritius due to it being a tropical island. But it certainly doesn't spoil the overall experience.

Mentioned in this post
Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
931 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Poor weather

We travel to Grand Gaube this week and not trying to be obsessive but the forecast looks a little bit cloudy for our 2 weeks. Have stayed in tropical places before so know when it rains you get a downpour and then it's over but I'm just a bit worried. The warmth will be welcome tho x

Mentioned in this post
Grand Gaube
Grand Gaube
Mauritius
Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Poor weather

Don't bother looking at online forecasts as they are invariably wrong. Best bet is to stick to the local Met Office website. Weather varies a lot from place to place in Mauritius, too. The inland mountainous areas are far wetter than the coastal areas.

http://metservice.intnet.mu/

Enjoy your holiday - we stayed at Paul & Virginie in Grand Gaube last year and loved the area.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Gaube
Grand Gaube
Mauritius
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,963 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Poor weather

Ignore any long term forecasts and check the one Dee gave - there is a seven day probalistic forecast which is much more accurate than any weather apps.

…intnet.mu/probabilistic-forecast.php

Reply to: Poor weather
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mauritius