We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best month to visit

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best month to visit

Hi

We are getting married in February 2018 and despite travel agent saying it was a great time to go, my research indicates it is rainy season and risk of cyclones - I’m happy to delay the honeymoon is March or April better? Or should I wait until May?

Also is weather markedly different between west and east coast?

Any advice would be great please

Best wishes

Abi

3 replies to this topic
Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best month to visit

Hi Abi

Your research is right - Feb is hot, humid and rainy with a chance of cyclones so I'd avoid if I were you. We love late April and early May as it's still hot but not at humid or wet and the chance of cyclones is far less. May is also low season so can be slightly cheaper than April.

No difference between east and west at that time of the year so anywhere on the island is okay. Probably more important to decide whether or not you want to be close to a town or touristy village, or if you are happy to be in a more isolated area. The east and south are quite remote with nothing much outside of the hotels whereas the north, north west and west are more developed and are close to tourist areas like Grand Baie and Flic en Flac which offer a wide range of shops, restaurants, bars etc.

Have a wonderful honeymoon when it comes!!

Dee

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best month to visit

Brilliant thanks so much Dee - I’m a bit disappointed the travel agent implied it was a good month to go - I checked with Audley travel too and they too recommend not to visit in February!

End of April - early May it is then - now I can relax and just look forward to it all

Best Wishes

Abi

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best month to visit

Perhaps the agent hasn't been to Mauritius and just thinks it's good because it's summer in the southern hemisphere. Or they get a better commission that month? So it's worth checking these things (as you did!) rather than taking what the agent says as gospel.

Reply to: Best month to visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted