We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Baie Street Robbery

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Grand Baie Street Robbery

Last Friday night we walked out of le Capitan and my wife had her bag snatched which included a nice nikon camera with our honeymoon pics on it. The robbers on motorbikes were slick and had clearly done this a lot before - 1 of them even had a cosh.

We reported this to the Police and CID are investigating. They are working hard and have been pro-active. I would recommend eating here but don't walk in the area.

If anyone local reads this it would be great if we could at least get back our card with our pictures on.....?

20 replies to this topic
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
46,037 posts
132 reviews
1. Re: Grand Baie Street Robbery

Sorry to hear this Ben.

Have you heard anything more from Grand Baie police?

I do hope you get your photos back as these are irreplaceable!

Please keep us updated.

Edenvale, South...
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: Grand Baie Street Robbery

The snatch and grab from a motorbike strikes again :(

I hope you get your photos back Ben

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,172 posts
219 reviews
3. Re: Grand Baie Street Robbery

Sorry to hear this Ben. Hope you get some feedback from the police

4. Re: Grand Baie Street Robbery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 am, October 13, 2017

London, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Grand Baie Street Robbery

This is just awful, I do hope you get your photos back as these are precious memories. The more I read about things like this, the more I worry about going there. So sad.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,172 posts
219 reviews
6. Re: Grand Baie Street Robbery

Don't worry Jane, Mauritius is no different from anywhere else regarding these sorts of incidents. I wouldn't walk around any town or city in the evening with a handbag - opportunistic thefts are everywhere.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
6,421 posts
59 reviews
7. Re: Grand Baie Street Robbery

There is opportunistic crime in every country so please don't let this put you off Mauritius. By and large it's as safe as anywhere else if you are careful.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
46,037 posts
132 reviews
8. Re: Grand Baie Street Robbery

Living here 6 months of the year since 2010 and visiting for holidays years before that I would say that crime is getting worse here. My own apartment was broken into 2 years ago so can speak from experience.

Most people who live here say the same thing so it's not just me.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: Grand Baie Street Robbery

Dear all, thanks for the messages, no updates as yet...

Both of us have travelled extensively including Goa, Gambia and East Africa.....all of which had less CCTV and Police than Mauritius. We were ambushed on a main road at dinnertime. I wonder if this suggests the begining of an upturn in crime against tourists.....?

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: Grand Baie Street Robbery

Hi Jane, when are you off?

Reply to: Grand Baie Street Robbery
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted