We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the 'stray dog programme'......

lincoln
Level Contributor
217 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
the 'stray dog programme'......

hi

looking at various options for a lovely, beachy holiday this winter and mauritius was coming out favourite. until....... reading about the rounding up, torture and slaughter of stray dogs just so tourists can have 'dog-free' beaches.

ive tried googling to find the most up-to-date info, but cant find anything this year. have also looked at the last few pages of this forum but its a busy forum and cant see any recent mention.

is it still going on? much as id love to visit, i cant put my money into a place that does this, it wouldnt feel right so ill look elsewhere if its still the current policy.

thanks

23 replies to this topic
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
45,608 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the 'stray dog programme'......

Hi - there are a lot of threads on the dogs if you put it into the search box here - here's just one of them:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293…

Incidentally my avatar is Katie, one of many street dog puppies we managed to bring up and rehome.

lincoln
Level Contributor
217 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the 'stray dog programme'......

thanks for the reply bronia, looks like its still the policy then, so im afraid mauririus is out for us then. we're animal lovers and as it says on the thread you linked to, no amount of paradise can make up for the cruelty we would be witnessing, either first hand or indirectly.

thanks for the confirmation, and well done for helping at least one poor dog.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,608 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: the 'stray dog programme'......

Davo26 I totally understand where you are coming from and we would feel exactly feel the same if we were tourists.

As it is we live here half the year so can't avoid it but we do our best with our street dogs, a few who we've known and looked out for 7 years now or more and who will still feed.

At the moment we are feeding 9 dogs and when we return to the UK mid November some of our neighbours will hopefully take over. They are now named "community dogs!"

We also look out for the beach dogs in our area.

Thanks for your concern :)

Edited: 8:41 am, October 11, 2017
North West England...
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: the 'stray dog programme'......

Have to say this is a concern of mine too. As a passionate dog lover and heavily involved in rescue, I've seen a few posts on SM recently on this subject which I find very disturbing and upsetting. My holiday was already booked and paid for long before I read these alarming reports and now I'm getting distressed about what we may see/hear. Where should we steer clear of to minimise the risk? I'm not bothered about seeing stray dogs, just witnessing cruelty towards them :-(

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,608 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: the 'stray dog programme'......

ChrissnJacko - where are you staying?

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: the 'stray dog programme'......

We stayed at the Maritim resort & spa in Balaclava. They are heavily involved with the PAWS program (google it). There are stray dogs around this hotel and they feed them around the back so they do not bother guests. The dogs wander around on the beach but kept away from humans and did not bother anyone. They also have a small animal park at the back of the hotel with dogs, chickens, goats and tortoises. While we were there they had just taken in a stray kitten of no more than a few weeks old.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,608 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: the 'stray dog programme'......

acs1984 - yes we covered the Maritim initiative on forum - see the thread in Top Questions "Are there any animal friendly hotels in Mauritius." the second thread I link here:

https:/…74141782

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: the 'stray dog programme'......

Ok - but I just thought i'd give my opinion on the original question from davo26 so he had a first hand experience of a good that looks after animals

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,608 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: the 'stray dog programme'......

Just seen a Facebook post which warned people at Pointe aux Sables that the MSAW dog catchers are out there today, So yes it is still very much going on.

Kent
Level Contributor
227 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: the 'stray dog programme'......

this is simply my view - as a dog lover myself (all my dogs are rescue dogs)

Have just returned from 2 weeks in Mauritius - one week spent in Balaclava and one week spent in Bel Ombre.

We travelled around the island fairly extensively. And yes there are a fair few dogs that wander around. However, some did have collars on - none appeared to be in poor condition or lame. At worst I spotted one that could have done with a good dose of flea treatment.

Yes - I appreciate that this is a limited view.

I absolutely loved Mauritius and will definately be returning.

Reply to: the 'stray dog programme'......
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted