We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommend a good guide book to Mali

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
147 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Recommend a good guide book to Mali

Can anyone recommend a good guide book to mali. I've been to Barnes and Nobel and they only have one guide book - a Bradt Guide to Mali. I have also looked at the Lonely Planet Web Site. Are there other guide books or web sites to look at?

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommend a good guide book to Mali

Hi there,

The Bradt guide and the LP guide are okay; I think those are the only two guidebooks in English.

But if you understand (a little) French there are 3 other good books on Mali:

* Andriamirado - Mali aujourd'hui, uitg.: Jaguar-Jeune Afrique, 2006, isbn 2-86950-401-2, €29,50

* Auzias, Dominique et al - Mali Petit Futé 2007-2008, uitg.: Nouvelles Editions Université, 2007, isbn 978-2746915947, pb., 328 blz., €21,50

* Milet, Manaud - Guide Mali, uitg.: Olizane, isbn 2-88086-323-6, €26,50

I liked the 3rd one very much.

Good luck and have a nice stay in Mali; it's

a wonderful country to visit.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
147 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommend a good guide book to Mali

Thank you taamala. I will try one of the French guides. My daughter will be going for 5-6 months and we will be visiting her there sometime next spring. I have read some of your other posts which have been very helpful. I went on the website of the guide you recommended and he and his program seemed great. If you only had 10 days to 2 weeks in Mali what would you be sure to see or do?

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommend a good guide book to Mali

I still recommend the guide; he can organize a complete roundtrip for you , where you have your own 4x4 and driver, or just a trip by pinasse.

If you only have 10-14 days to visit Mali ( and departing from Bamako, I assume) you should at least visit:

Bamako (city tour) Ségou, Djenné, (be sure to arrive there on a Sunday night, so you can visit the market on Monday), Mopti and from there to the Dogon for a short trip, back to Mopti and by pinasse to Timbuktu and back to Bamako (which you could do by plane, if time is an issue.)

If you chose to go by 4x4, you also could opt for the next route:

Bamako, Segou, Djenne, Mopti, by road to Douentza and stop on your way in another part of the Dogon (the Falaise) to visit more unknown/unspoiled villages; from Douentza via Hombori (Hand of Fatima) to Timbuktu and return to Mopti by pinasse and then back to Bamako.

The route to Douentza via the piste is not a comfortable trip, but you see a lot of the countryside and don't have to walk.

If you like more information, just drop me a line.

4. Re: Recommend a good guide book to Mali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, September 27, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Mali