We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mumbo Island Malawi

Cobham, Surrey
Level Contributor
7 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Mumbo Island Malawi

I fell in love with Malawi the first time I went. They call it the Warm Heart of Africa and it is. I've been three times now, but one of the best places was Mumbo Island (booked via Kayak Africa). What a place! You can kayak out to get there if you want to (from Cape Maclear), but we took the boat. It's four nights of living like a castaway (except you get fed incredibly well and sleep in lovely tents). No electricity either! We kayaked round the island, snorkeled (fabulous cichlid fish), sang round the campfire on the beach, and just generally chilled out before we left for the next part of our African adventure. Can defnitely recommend it as part of your Malawi trip - though it's for fit people only - you have to cross a wobbly rope bridge to get to the island. Oh, and take your own wine!

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mumbo Island Malawi

Hi Jackiehw! We will be spending 6 nights on Mumbo Island soon and are really looking forward to it. I was interested by your comment about taking our own wine. Do you recommend it because prices are exhorbitant there or because they don't have any? I assume they wouldn't frown on guests bringing their own?

Thanks DevinL

Cobham, Surrey
Level Contributor
7 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mumbo Island Malawi

Hi DevinL When we were there they didn't stock wine on the island. Everyone who was there took their own wine. There's a couple of cool boxes in front of the bar, full of ice, so that you can put your wine in there. Everyone knows whose wine is whose! Our only mistake is that we didn't take enough. When the sun goes down, there isn't much else to do but sit and chat with the other guests and have a drink. It was all so fabulous - I'm sure you will love it.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mumbo Island Malawi

Thanks for your help! I assume you didn't have any problems at customs when taking in wine? I think the allowance is 1 litre per person.

South Africa
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mumbo Island Malawi

Hi Jackie, apologies you must feel like a travel agent! are all the luxury tents at mumbo the same or do some have better views, my boyfriend is going to propose - i think - and i would just love to be in an excellent tent with a great view. Thank you for the wine tip!

Kind regards, Lara

South Africa
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mumbo Island Malawi

Hi Jackie, apologies you must feel like a travel agent! are all the luxury tents at mumbo the same or do some have better views, my boyfriend is going to propose - i think - and i would just love to be in an excellent tent with a great view. Thank you for the wine tip!

Kind regards, Lara

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mumbo Island Malawi

Hi LittlemisssunshineSA. Just returned from our honeymoon at Mumbo Island and it was absolutely unbelievable! We stayed in the honeymoon tent (tent 4) which has an amazing view. Tent 5 as well as Tent 1 (I think) also have good views and the best facilities.

The staff were super friendly, there are fish eagles and monitor lizards everywhere and the snorkelling was amazing!

Enjoy!

South Africa
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mumbo Island Malawi

Hi Devin, Thank you so much for that info - it really is helpful. I am so excited now and from the sounds of your trip, it truly is spectacular there. I will be sure to toast a drink to you for the info when we are there. All the best, Lara