We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self drive Malawi

Lier, Belgium
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Self drive Malawi

Hi,

We are looking for a reliable company in Malawi to hire a jeep for max. 10 days. The idea is that we will picking up the car in Lilongwe and drop him in Blantyre or Liwonde. Does anyone can recommend us a company or has anyone experience (bad or good) with a similar trip ?

We would be very grateful for any kind of information

Kind regards

Marc & Frie

Belgium

Mentioned in this post
Lilongwe
Lilongwe
Central Region, Malawi
Blantyre
Blantyre
Southern Region, Malawi
Liwonde National Park
Liwonde National Park
Southern Region, Malawi
London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Self drive Malawi

Hi Marc & Frie

... not sure if you’re still looking for info…

We just came back from Malawi; we had fantastic time there and were hiring car for a few days too. We used SS Rent a Car- it worked all right. They have offices in both cities but the boss in Blantyre is much nicer person. The only thing which surprised us during booking process was insurance. It wasn’t clear from website that the one included in price covered almost nothing. To get comprehensive insurance is crazy expensive in MW (they quoted $450 for 3 days for normal size car!) and still doesn’t protect you fully. At the end we bought in Europe/on line the car hire excess insurance.

Rgds and good luck ;-) I am sure you will enjoy south Malawi and its extremely kind, irreplaceable people.

Alex

Mentioned in this post
Blantyre
Blantyre
Southern Region, Malawi
Cradle of Humankind...
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self drive Malawi

We also used SS rentacar successfully. We had the same issue with insurance but they accepted free car hire insurance that I have as a feature on my credit card. They were very keen on marking down all the scratches and dents on the car when we took it, but weren't overly fussy with checking this on our return. I think they understand what some of the road conditions are bound to be! Though having said that, I generally found them quite good.

3. Re: Self drive Malawi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, November 18, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Malawi
;