We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with planning Malawi trip

london
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Help with planning Malawi trip

We finish a week long canoe safari in Lusaka on Sat 20 Sept. We would like to spend the next 5 nights in Malawi, staying in one or two places in mid priced accommodation before returning to London. I am having difficulty working out distances and where to stay - we would like to spend some time at the Lake with optional activities and would be happy to self drive or use public buses.

Any advice or the recommendation of a good agent who could help would be appreciated

Dallas
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with planning Malawi trip

How are you getting from Lusaka to Malawi? If by public transport, most recommend overnighting in Chipata. From there, Lilongwe is only a couple of hours the next morning. If flying, LIlongwe or Blantyre?

With only a short amount of time, renting a car might be your best bet once you get to Malawi.

Edited: 1:25 pm, February 02, 2014
london
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with planning Malawi trip

I expect we will fly from Lusaka but whether to Lilongwe or Blantyre will depend I guess on where we stay in Malawi. Whilst I have a brochure with hotels I have no idea of the travelling distances involved so am finding it difficult to plan to make the most of our 5 free days.

Dallas
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with planning Malawi trip

I think you need to come back with a more focused idea of where you want to go and what "kind" of traveler you are. Looking at the Bradt Guidebook might help. Are you wanting a more touristy destination (e.g. Cape Maclear) or something more off the beaten path? If you are self-driving, the times between places are not overly long. Even Nkhata Bay in the north would only be about 6 hours from Lilongwe. Much longer by public transport though.

Cape Maclear
Level Contributor
46 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with planning Malawi trip

Hi there

We own a lodge lodge in Cape Maclear, one of THE best destinations in Malawi.

I can give you the following ideas:

If you want to come to Cape Maclear the 2 favourite options are thus. There is a bus that comes to Monkey bay every day. Lilongwe is about 230km from us but by bus it takes anything from 6 - 12 hours. I think the cost is about 9$. Alternatively I can supply you with a tel nr for a very reliable guy that does transfers feom the airport and through the country at reasonable prices. Renting a car is very expensive. Our lodge is Thumbi view lodge and at Cape Maclear you can have an active day or just relaxing. We are on the beach and all oir rooms are en-suite. You can snorkel, dive, kayak, swim, go on boat trips or visit the surrounding islands. Please let me know should you need any additional info and good luck with planning. Thank you Noleen info@thumbiviewlodge.com

5. Re: Help with planning Malawi trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 17, 2015