We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ilala Ferry out of service

Dallas
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Ilala Ferry out of service

The Ilala Ferry is currently out of service, for how long not known. There was a report in the MalawiVoice on Aug. 2nd that a substitute ferry would be put into service on August 20th. The folks at Kaya Mawa (Likoma Island) confirm the ferry outage, but don't know anything about the substitute ferry service.

Busia
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ilala Ferry out of service

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the Ilala Ferry is still out of service and when it'll be back in service?

Thanks a lot,

strikingstar

Blantyre, Malawi
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ilala Ferry out of service

Still no news- everyone says that replacement is not looking likely anytime soon! You trying to get to Likoma?

Busia
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ilala Ferry out of service

Not really looking to get to Likoma per se. Just looking for a nice way to get from Monkey Bay to Tz. Of course, if the ferry did stop at Likoma long enough, I would hop off to check out the cathedral. But this really puts the kibosh on my plans if the ferry isn't running. Do you know what the chances are of the ferry running in three weeks? That's when I'll be in Malawi.

uganda
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ilala Ferry out of service

Zero chance that the ferry will be running by then- sorry!

We did it one way by ferry then the other way by minibus and catching lifts all the way up the lakeshore to Mbeya and then caught the train through TZ. We stopped Nkhata Bay on way up- then from Nkhata Bay we did it in one day to Mbeya via Karonga bus stop. Sorry not to be more positive on ferry situation!

Busia
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ilala Ferry out of service

That's cool. I needed to keep my expectations in check.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ilala Ferry out of service

Hello All

I'm an ex-Malawian returning in April 2013 and hoping to catch the Illala from Nkhata Bay to Monkey Bay on Monday 8th April - can anyone tell me if the ferry is back in service yet?

Zikomo kwambiri.

Claire Punter

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,170 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ilala Ferry out of service

Currently there seems little or no chance the Ilala will be back in service soon, see

nyasatimes.com/2013/…

Ivan

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ilala Ferry out of service

Thank you Ivan, much appreciated.

Claire

Lamu Island, Kenya
Level Contributor
445 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ilala Ferry out of service

What I heard, the Ilala should be back again this weekend. But somebody told me they should better buy a new ferry. We'll see if the service resumes again this time...

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,170 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ilala Ferry out of service

<<somebody told me they should better buy a new ferry>>

The government has been promising to replace the Ilala for years, It no longer satisfies international regulations for a ferry, but who knows when it will happen, BTIA.

Ivan