We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weekend at Lake Malawi possible/worth it/ from Lilongwe????

WAshington, DC
Level Contributor
36 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
weekend at Lake Malawi possible/worth it/ from Lilongwe????

I'm here in Lilongwe for work. Can you suggest any scenario for a meaningful visit and DIVE when I just have the weekend and no private transport??? Would spend some $$ to experience the lake, but don't want it to be completely rushed and meaningless. Like do any of the lodges run a weekend 'package' that gives transport/?? I know, I'm dreaming, but you can't blame a girl for trying!!!

Thanks!

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
644 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weekend at Lake Malawi possible/worth it/ from Lilongwe????

Do you drive? you can hire a car for around $50 a day. But only good if you can find fuel in Lilongwe! Senga Bay is about one and a half hours away. Safari Beach Lodge is a good place to stay, they have free canoes to use.The lodge is in a forest reserve so abit of wildlife is around. Also Cool Running is nice run by Sam who does loads of charity work she has 2 bed dorm rooms for $8 pppn so if you paid for 2 bed you get a private room for $16. For diving you would need to go to Cape Maclear or you could make it to Kande Beach if you could leave on Friday night, dive on Saturday and Sunday morning then back to Lilongwe. Accommodation at Kande Beach goes from dorm rooms to en suite rooms. A good place to look would be Mabuya Camp in Lilongwe, sometimes there are other travellers there looking to share a vehicle to split the cost they also know car hire companies. The other thing you could do is look at Kiboko Safaris as I think they do short trips to Liwonde National Park if you want to do a safari, not sure how good the trip is with them as I have only been to this great park in my own car..

England
Level Contributor
25 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weekend at Lake Malawi possible/worth it/ from Lilongwe????

Dear DC Try Norman Carr cottages just south of Monkey Bay. I have just returned from there having spent two weeks with them and they picked me up from the airport so the should pick you up in Lilongwe. Small but great place and the diving may be in with the cost of the room. You can find their web site and find their phone number. Have a great time, Jim from England

Lilongwe, Malawi
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: weekend at Lake Malawi possible/worth it/ from Lilongwe????

Hi

If you only have a short visit then stick to Senga Bay, unless you want to spend half your time on transport. Try Wamwai's lodge, next to Cool Runnings, they offer diving and were setting up a marine conservation project last time I spoke with them. I haven't been personally but it's worth checking out, the couple owning it are lovely.

Have fun!

J

www.lilongwewildlife.org

Blantyre
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: weekend at Lake Malawi possible/worth it/ from Lilongwe????

To follow on: Norman Carr Website http://www.normancarrcottagelakemalawi.com/

they dont offer diving but amazing place. Diving you should go to Frog Man diving Cape Maclear. Check out places to stay in CM explore-malawi.com/hotels-in-cape-maclear-la…

Norman Carr can transfer you to theirs or you can get bus to Monkey Bay and then a lift from there.

5. Re: weekend at Lake Malawi possible/worth it/ from Lilongwe????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:42 am, June 18, 2013