We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lilongwe to Blantyre

Liverpool
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lilongwe to Blantyre

I am travelling to Lilongwe in October on my own but need to get to Blantyre/Zomba. How easy is it to get an internal flight once in lilongwe or would it easier just to get the bus? any info would be great!!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lilongwe to Blantyre

Hi Air Malawi flies Lilongwe to Blantyre 1 to 3 times daily. This is a busy route; you can book a flight via an Air Malawi agent (I can get the timetable for you)

The bus takes around 4-5hrs, on the intercity buses, and there are minibuses (not recommended unless you want adventure/don’t mind taking your life in your hands, delete as apropriate) there will be buses to Zomba. The details I don’t know, as the bus situation changes all the time due to new companies being formed/dissolved, there has been a lot of new buses imported recently due to a gov. relaxation on duty to encourage import of new buses to replace the old decrepit ones used by the now defunct gov. run company Shire Lines. If wanting to go direct to Blantyre you could get a flight from Kamuzu Int straight off your flight in. Note that the airport is 15km from the city, about 20min by taxi. I don’t recommend hanging around the bus station.

Hopefully someone who has recent experience will come on with the latest info

Ivan

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
644 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lilongwe to Blantyre

I would get the bus and you get to see some of Malawi, If you are flying into Lilongwe I would stay there the night, maybe at Mabuya camp they have double A frame rooms for around $18 and then get the early bus to Zomba the next morning, Tom and Janey (the owners of Mabuya) can order you a taxi to the bus station and get the driver to make sure you are on the right bus. They have all the bus timetables. There are normally other travellers /backpackers at the camp at may also want to go to the bus station that you could share a taxi with there is a blackboard in reception where you can put a message and your name for shared taxis. Hope this is of some help

Liverpool
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lilongwe to Blantyre

I think the bus sounds like my best option!! I lived in Thondwe for 4 months as a volunteer but it was two years ago now!! Bit nervy as going on my own but i know from last time i was safe!! My plan was to stay at mabuya then go from there...I arrive on the saturday at 11 > do buses still run on the sundays (the same as weekdays?) From my memory last time it took approx six hours...is that right? Going for 2 weeks to visit the school I worked at!! Thanks!

Edited: 4:16 pm, February 26, 2010
Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
644 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lilongwe to Blantyre

Hi I am not sure about times and days that they run but give Mabuya a email, they will know

5. Re: Lilongwe to Blantyre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 26, 2010