We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How can I know more Madagascar local people?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
How can I know more Madagascar local people?

I'm heading to Madagascar soon and what interested me most not the wild animals or plants (they are very interesting for sure) but people from Madagascar. How they eat, live, educate, have fun...etc, anyone can give me good advices or happen to know some local people that I can chat with?

Antananarivo...
Level Contributor
409 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How can I know more Madagascar local people?

Your expectation is one of the best and complicate trip to do. Be specific!

It may seem very clear from where you are but for sure you will be a big surprise to know that there is no "one" Malagasy with "one" culture. Things are different from one to another region, from one ethnic group to another. Oh! - people will tel you that you that we - as I am a Malagasy - are more or less similar. That can be true if you intend to make first touch or learning how to deal with people. It is false if you are interested on the culture and so on. To do it short, "Modern" Malagasy people are more or less similar while we are traditionally different.

Now, I came back to your thread about how to know it? - The answer is traveling and enter in contact with local people. For modern people, you need to stay in basic hotel like guest house and walk around with some Malagasy guys. For traditional aspect discovery, you need to do some trek and behave like previously said.

Hope that it may help.

2. Re: How can I know more Madagascar local people?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 23, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Antananarivo