We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madagascar Tour Early March 2013

Which Antananarivo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Madagascar Tour Early March 2013

Hi All

We're going to South Africa for the month of February and would love to finish off with a short visit to Madagascar. We may not end up in that part of the world again for many years. I've looked through the forums and see lots of recommendations for tour companies but not much actual information. We'd be flying from Johannesburg and will ideally want a five day trip that would include lemur watching, opportunities to see other fauna and flora, and perhaps a final day at the beach. Any recommendations for a tour company? Is early March worth considering?

Thanks.

Kitcat22
Level Contributor
6 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Madagascar Tour Early March 2013

P0rcupine--how did your trip work out? I gather from all the deleted posts to your first questions that they were Madagascar guides self-promoting? Did you ever get PM's with helpful insight? I'd love to hear what you recommend after the trip. Thanks.

Kosice
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Madagascar Tour Early March 2013

Hi, It depends, ... mostly on your language skills and time .. :-)) I also where possible try to avoid "organized" actions... You can easily either book a hotel, there are great and relatively cheap hotels displayed in this or other sites.- The same is valid for guides or tour operators. LIke in most developing countries the competition is high and you can with almost everyone, organise whatever (car hire, transport, lodging, visits, activities, complex tours..) Ask travellers, look for references, communicate in advance with them... Use the browser. The car with a driver is for 50 EUR/day + fuel (around 1 EUR/liter). Five days is very, very short time.. we are going there in April for 12 days... and bitterly regreting that can not reach North, East, South...

Saint Petersburg
13 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Madagascar Tour Early March 2013

You can book your hotel by yourself if you have access with their contact. Try to hire a car with owner to make you have good deal . Good luck!

Karel

14. Re: Madagascar Tour Early March 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:43 pm, March 16, 2013
london
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Madagascar Tour Early March 2013

Hi everybody,

I was in 2 weeks in Madagascar and we got a very good honest man and professional.

You can contact him http//: www.makigascartour.com or makigascartour@gmail.com

Send my greetings from Terry

Fort Dauphin...
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
459 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Madagascar Tour Early March 2013

Hiya,

Posted to assist others, obviously this post is old and the op will have already been and gone...

Yes it is totally possible, for a five day trip you really don't need an organised tour. I recommend for such a short trip that you go from Tana to Ranomafana National Park and visit Andasibe when you get back to Tana if you have time. You can get a car from a mainstream company like Budget in Tana for a good price, which will include a driver. Just ask them to make sure your driver speaks English. That's in my opinion the key to a good private trip... a good trustworthy driver and the backup of a good hire care firm behind you in case of problems. I've rented from them many times and they always have provided a neat, clean, almost brand new little car like a Clio or something... perfect for two or three people. Then I recommend the travel guide by Sara LeHoullier which was recently published by Other Places Travel. Sara and I did this trip together a couple of years ago, and it was amazing. You can find plenty of beautiful small hotels along the way and you will see the beautiful highlands and some fantastic wilderness. I really recommend it. I would stop in Fianarantsoa to break the trip and stay up in the old town (UNESCO 100 most endangered cities of the world) in perhaps the Vala Hotel... it looks amazing. In Ranomafana there is a beautiful place that was built and planted by nuns, fantastic gardens and immaculate bungalows... Chez someone, perhaps Gerard. Anyway you just ask people where is the bungalows near the church. There are plenty of tours into the rainforest that are easy to organise. Along the way, as long as you leave Tana really nice and early in the morning, you will have time to stop in the beautiful highland towns of Ambositra (the craft capitol of Madagascar) and Antsirabe, perhaps stop in one on the way down and the other on the way back :). When you get back to Tana, if you have time, get your driver to take you to Andasibe and stay at Feon'ny Ala or Vakona Lodge for an indri experience.

Edited: 5:43 am, March 18, 2013
17. Re: Madagascar Tour Early March 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 20, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Antananarivo