We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours by local organisations

England
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Tours by local organisations

We are considering a tour either by Za tours or Island Continent tours.

Does anyone have experience of using either of these organisations?

Has anyone booked a local tour before arriving in Madagascar and needed to pay a deposit? I understand Credit Cards can only be used if you are there in person. Can anyone suggest a safer way of paying than a bank transfer?

Thank you for taking the time to reply

1. Re: Tours by local organisations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, August 05, 2012
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours by local organisations

Hi There

We arrived back from Madagascar on Friday of last week and had the most amazing time there. We used Rija Tours, website is, www.rijatours.mg

We booked all of our tour prior to arriving in Madagascar, the whole Rija tours team were very helpful, organising the tour exactly as we had hoped for. I did pay them a deposit by bank transfer and paid the balance when we were collected in Tana with no issues at all!!!

The cost of the tour was a lot less expensive than booking in the UK and I can't recommend the team highly enough. There are always worries when you are booking in a country that you are unsure of and of course I had concerns, but I can assure you that you are in safe hands with Rija and the team. Our guide and driver were English speaking and they eagerly helped us with all local communications and made us aware of what to expect.

My 12yr old son was particularly interested in Reptiles and our guide I believe had been chosen specifically to accomodate us with this. His name was Jean Claude and he went out of his way to ensure that my son saw everything that he came to Madagascar to see.

Regards

Anne

Hong Kong, China
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours by local organisations

Hi there,

Yes we booked Rija Tours, and paid a deposit. Service was immaculate and Mr. Rija is an amazing man. His guides are well educated about the land and furthermore, we had an absolutely amazing time traveling across the country.

4. Re: Tours by local organisations

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, April 03, 2013
Edited: 2:35 pm, April 03, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours by local organisations

We travelled with Rija tours and were very happy with the services. We sent a deposit by telegraphic transfer and the balance by cash (Euros) on arrival. Rija does a difficult job well - Madagascar is a difficult place to visit - a hard gig - and you would be really hard pressed to do it without using a local tour operator. We can recommend Rija.

6. Re: Tours by local organisations

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, August 26, 2012
7. Re: Tours by local organisations

Removed on: 8:16 pm, August 26, 2012
Madagascar
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tours by local organisations

Costs with international based companies are usually much higher. Many local tour operators offer a variety of payment options. Another Madagascar based option:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293808-i9291-k494…

Other resources:

Bradt Travel guide to Madagascar

www.travelmadagascar.org

9. Re: Tours by local organisations

Removed on: 6:23 am, November 21, 2012
England
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tours by local organisations

Just thought I would up date on my original post. Eventually be booked through a UK agent, Africa Travel, who were very helpful but we used Za tours in Madagascar . We had the same guide and driver for 2 weeks, they were great, could not do enough for use and were especially good when one of the party was unwell. The company is run by a local lady so hopefully all the money remains in the country. If there was a safer way of paying the deposit from UK I would have been happy to book direct but paying 50% deposit for 6 people by bankers order was a risk I was not prepared to take.

Do go to Madagascar it is a great country, lots to do and see, excellent value for money, help to put the island on the tourist map, it has so much more than other Indian Ocean islands but is relatively little visited.

Get answers to your questions about Antananarivo