We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit in Antananarivo

Manchester, United...
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transit in Antananarivo

Hi

I will be traveling via Antananarivo on a flight back to the UK. I am due to arrive at 15.15 and my next flight out is the next day at 02.20

I don't want to spend 11 hours at the airport and wondered whether it would be simple to get into the city to do some shopping and have a nice meal. Not sure whether there's left luggage facilities at the airport, but happy to book a hotel room for a few hours if this is easier

Also, as a woman travelling alone, is it safe to shop in the evening in Antananarivo?

Thanks

California
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit in Antananarivo

Hi there,

There are no laggage facility at the airport.

Here are a couple of suggestions:

1- you can hire a driver at the airport when you arrive to help you, as long as you need him, discuss the price before you start for what you want him to do, like take you shopping they know where to take you if you lets them know what are you looking for, at the mean time your lagguage will be in the car as you go along, then when you are done he will bring you back to the airport for you flight.

2- here is a phone number for a hotel 10mn from the airport you can use for you laggage, then take a taxi to town and do your shopping, I am a Malagasy but from my past experiences I wouldn't recommande you to shop in Tana alone at night.

here is the number near the airport, they can suggest you a driver to take you to town.

Auberge de cheval blanc Tel +261 2022 446-46 this is not expensive Hotel maybe $20 a night, and you can have them take you to the airport at night too.

Here is another Hotel in down town if you prefer, this is near the center where you can walk alone at night, you can do the same live your laggage there and ask them to get you a car and go do your shopping or have your dinner. The driver are happy to wait for you while you have your dinner since they know that they are already have a customer if they leave you, they may never get a new passanger for the rest of the day, it's not a big deal to ask them to wait for you as long as they know how much they will get at the end of the day.

Hotel Shangai Tel+261 2022 314 72 this is about $20 a room too.

Hope this help.

Tina

2. Re: Transit in Antananarivo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, September 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Antananarivo