We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Locust Plague

3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Locust Plague

I have a trip planned for the first 2 weeks in May to do a tour through various parts of Madagascar, focused on wildlife. I've been hearing a lot of news about the locust infestation but its difficult to understand the reality of the situation. Is anyone on the ground in Mad that can provide some details about whether it is worth visiting at this time and what areas are hardest hit? If everything is destroyed or swarming with grasshoppers, I'd prefer to reschedule :)

Antananarivo...
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
286 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Locust Plague

The locust have been around for a long time. The South West is the mostly hit region. We hear about it in the news now but they were already flying over the South and the Isalo massif since June 2012. Since, it did not prevent us from doing our hikes and visits.

2. Re: Locust Plague

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, May 27, 2013
Weymouth, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Locust Plague

I'm travelling to Madagascar in July. Can you update us when you get back from your May trip?

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Locust Plague

Sure, just ping me again if June rolls around and I've not responded. The good news is that I've gathered a lot more info from people on the ground In Madagascar and it sound like there isn't a really a locust issue at all right now and the news has stopped covering that story altogether. One theory is that the interium government was using the locust swarm emergency as a way to get international funds to use for their campaign for election. Not sure if that is true but it seems that the locust are phantom. Good news for all!

Dublin, Dublin...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Locust Plague

hi Desiderata2011,

did you end up going?

London
Level Contributor
7 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Locust Plague

Hello

I have just returned from Madagascar, having spent two weeks travelling south from Tana to Anakoa.

I was worried about the locust plague, but we did not experience any difficulties. Apparently the worst of the problem is in the south, although we did see a few swarms on our journey down between Andasibe and Romanafana. Apparently this has been a problem the Malagasy have been living with for a number of years now.

So, not a phantom, but I do not think anything to worry about.

Antananarivo...
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
286 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Locust Plague

On a side note, this article about the locusts from a volunteer working in Madagascar makes me smile:

beatnomad.com/2013/…

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Locust Plague

I did go and it was fantastic. We traveled along the east coast from Maroantsetra down to Berenty and didn't see a single grasshopper. The weather was a bit rainy but always warm and the animals and forests were amazing. I highly recommend it

Usedom Island...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Locust Plague

I have just returned from Madagascar, having spent two weeks travelling south from Tana to Anakoa.

[url=http://www.fifacoinsbox.com/]FIFA 14 Coins[/url]

10. Re: Locust Plague

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 09, 2014