We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving alone in Madagascar

Namibe, Angola
5 posts
Save Topic
Driving alone in Madagascar

Hello,

I'm going to Madagascar next month and I was planning to driving around alone but after I read some articles, I'm a little bit scared about it, even more because I'm a girl.

My plan was driving from Tana to Tsingy de Bemaraha - Morondava - Andavadoaka - Tulear - Isalo Park - Ranomafana - Antsirabe - Tana. This in 10 days? It is possible? What can I do to make this more safe for me, what are my options? It is safe to rent a car with a driver? Is not very expensive? I need advices...thank you

Ana

Mahe Island...
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving alone in Madagascar

Hi,

Don't try to drive alone,it's not a good idea if you're a girl because Madagascar is now still in transition and security is not priority for the government but election so better to avoid that and most roads are narrow and bumpy so difficult for us stranger.Any way you can hire a car with a driver/guide.

Kim

Boulder
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving alone in Madagascar

Do not drive alone at all. Hire driver,with good car. It is,worth it..your safety should always be primary.a guide will share,wonderful info.

3. Re: Driving alone in Madagascar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 am, April 24, 2013
4. Re: Driving alone in Madagascar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 am, April 24, 2013
Kosice
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving alone in Madagascar

Hi Ana, In case that you are interested to join a 10 days trip : Tana-Tsingy-Kirindy-Morondava-Tana plus Andasibe 2 days, to add Isalo is too ambitious (that park requires at least 3 days to explore it properly..). We are still looking for 1-2 persons to share a return car ride to Tana, as the Madair could be dangerously delayed ... One problem could be safety on the road, if driving independently, the other probably the time limits and communications on the way... we start from Tana on 28th April and come back on 8th may...

Gejza

Antananarivo...
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
285 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving alone in Madagascar

First of all, doing that itinerary in 10 days is impossible. Driving from Antananarivo to Morondava would already take you 2 days ( maybe one day if you can relay with a 2nd driver in the car ), then 1 day from Morondava to the Tsingy. Spent one or two days there and add another day to come back to Morondava. Morondava to Toliara via Andavadaoka takes on average 4-5 days. That's already 10 days and you haven't done half of the planned route.

Most of that itinerary you plan is on off the beaten track and involves some serious off-roading : crossing rivers, sand, mud, etc...I have driven these roads numerous times and once I got stuck in the sand, another time in the mud, the other time we blew up the radiator...every time I was thankful we were at least two persons in the car but also two cars. ( specially the road between Morondava to Toliara) .

It's not an issue of safety or the fact that you are a girl, I think it's just common sense.

I hope my post has helped.

Fort Dauphin...
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
459 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving alone in Madagascar

I also recommend that you do not try to do that trip alone. Anyway, I doubt very much that you would find a car hire company to rent you a car without a driver. The hire companies really don't like renting cars without drivers because the roads are really bad and without local knowledge you can get into all sorts of trouble as Haja has mentioned above, river crossings, deep water holes, sand, etc... it's very dangerous for their vehicles. You will gain a lot of insight by renting a car with driver who can help you to understand the things that you are seeing...

Bristol, Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving alone in Madagascar

Ditto to all that has been stated above. We live in Madagascar, and we have learned, less is more when traveling. Yes, this island has SO much to offer but if you pack in to much you will not be able to enjoy any of it. Pick a top 2-3 sights (and if possible keep in the in the same general area of Mada). Driving here is exhausting and just about anywhere takes 2-3 days travel. Slow down, enjoy, take in creation! Here is my friends contact information if you want a wonderful, english speaking, trust worthy driver, with competitive rates: https://www.facebook.com/MadaToursWithHasina

Worcester
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving alone in Madagascar

Hi Ana

We drove the route you listed in 2010.

We self drove and it took us a month. This didn't include going to the Tsingy and we only managed one day in Antsirabe. As someone else has posted, we estimated a further 5 days to visit the Tsingy.

We hired a 4x4 from Madarental but the owner has advised that the security situation is such now that he would not advise driving independently. Prices are not significantly more with a driver and we met the owner on our last trip so we believe he is offering sensible advice - very disappointing as we are heading back July/August and were planning to head north this time and self drive.

Good luck

N

Namibe, Angola
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving alone in Madagascar

Thank you all for your replies.

I think my best option is rent a car with a driver and see what I can do in 10 days.

Just one more question, does anyone know if is possible to go from Morondava or Miandrivazo to Bekopaka, early in May.

Thanks