We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Madagascar safe to go to this year?

Oregon
Level Contributor
14 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Is Madagascar safe to go to this year?

Hi,

We are planning a trip around the world and Madagascar is part of our itinerary for 1 month this November. I was there 20 years ago and loved it. My concern is that 2013 is an election year (in May I believe) and also there have been some issues in the South of Madagascar involving tourists. We are on the fence whether or not to go. Any advices appreciated.

Toliara
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Is Madagascar safe to go to this year?

Involved in dodgy business, u obviously have info I don't as they were good friends of mine but yeah what happened was an unfortunate but isolated incident just like nosy be. in general this place is safe as houses especially considering how poor it is, a nice friendlier people u'd be hard pressed to meet!

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
28 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is Madagascar safe to go to this year?

Despite the events in Nosy Be, Madagascar must be one of the tourist safest countries in Africa. Things happen everywhere, and I was shocked with what happened in Bristol, UK - it almost mirrored the tragedy in Nosy Be - but you would not say it is unsafe to travel to the UK?

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2478285/Innocen…

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is Madagascar safe to go to this year?

Some might say the UK is not safe. Just like everywhere, you need to plan carefully and not behave recklessly. The event in question is a "one off" and certainly hasn't put us off booking to come in 2014.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is Madagascar safe to go to this year?

Hi there. I know this is too late to be helpful for you, but I really hope you went to Madagascar! I just got back from a 2 week trip (Nov 9-24). We took the following route: Tulear-Isalo-Andringitra-Ranomafana-Andasible-Tana. It was amazing and we had no trouble at all. We spoke with different folks about their views of the elections, but other than that it did not factor into our holiday. Even for the day and a half I was in Tana, I never felt there was an unsafe moment (except for maybe a crazy driver passing cars on turns and almost running into our van :-)). It is really a special place with unique nature and wonderful people.

15. Re: Is Madagascar safe to go to this year?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 27, 2014