We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

I am hopefully going to stay on Nosy Be on a marine conservation course for 5 or 6 weeks. I read that in 2012 there were riots in Tana & I know that the country isn't politically stable. I was just wondering if anyone had been recently and if they had an inkling of what is going on (UK foreign office advice isn't fab). Basically is it safe to go to Nosy Be & spend a few days in Tana?

Also I have heard bad things about air Madagascar. Is it worth using them?

In addition are there any unmissable things to do in Madagascar?

Also I read that getting money out in Madagascar can be tricky as you can't always use a debit card -what would you recommend?

Thanks Everyone

83 replies to this topic
antananarivo
Level Contributor
24 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

Hi,

I am based in Madagascar and I would say that it is safe to travel Madagascar. But like in any other African countries, you would need to exercise some degrees of caution. The political situation of Madagascar is actually improving as a new president was elected in December. Soon the new government will be appointed and will be in office. But before all, Madagascan people are peaceful and so is the country.

Bangkok, Thailand
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

cheapest way to get to Antananarivo from Sydney is to fly to Bangkok Thailand, and then onto Antananarivo - will cost about $2000. you can also fly sydney-perth-johannesburg-antananarivo but this will cost you over $4000.

Brussels / BELGIUM
Level Contributor
88 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

It seems like being a foreigner in Madagascar can be problematic judging by this article found in the Réunion press :http://www.linfo.re/ocean-indien/madagascar/647004-un-mauricien-porte-disparu-dans-la-capitale-de-madagascar

Apparently, a Mauritian citizen was abducted in Tana. Is Madagascar about to become the next Colombia? I hope not because I have been planning to make it there for years now.

antananarivo
Level Contributor
24 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

Hi, like all countries in the world, you should chose where to go. The main tourists attractions are actually safe and even safer than the two past years. Some troubles between villagers happened in the deep south of Madagascar around unfrequented areas last month but that was in an isolated area and did not affect the rest of the country. There is no need to color your hairs at all even if you want to feel under the local skins. Malagasy people are generally very respectful to foreigners and are hospitable.

At the moment of speaking, there are 4 Swedish adventurers crossing the jungle from Antalaha to Ambanja without any backup - collaborating with the WWF. I met them and they are also feeling very confident. You can follow them at http://teammadagaskar.se on real time.

Have a nice trip.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
35. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

Hi all

I am travelling with 3 young kids (9,7 &3) to Madagascar in august (no man with us ) , we are on a boat for 6 days and then based on Nosy Be at the Vanila hotel, is there anything I should know, any helpful comments would be hugely appreciated

Ness355@gmail.com

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

Hi Brett, I saw your post re Madagascar.

I'm possibly planning a trip with a media crew, I wondered if I could pick your brains.

If so you can email me at stevecook01@mac.com

Thanks in advance.

Brussels
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

How is life in Tana? Is the weather pleasant? Are there mosquitoes there?

Bangkok, Thailand
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

I just came back from Madagascar - visiting Antananarivo and Nosy-Be. If any one has any questions please feel free to ask :)

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

Yes, it's perfectly safe. My daughter and I have just come to the end of 3 wonderful weeks in Madagascar. We drove with a driver on Route 7 from Tana via Ranomafana and Isalo to Tulear, then to the Tsingy and back to Morondava. from there we drove via Antsirabe and Tana and Andasibe to Tamatave and took the boat to Ile aux Nattes (off Sainte Marie). Just avoid Tana at night.

Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

I was just in Madagascar from Dec 20-Jan 1. I was supposed to be there until the 10th, but ended up changing my flight when I was attacked in the capital. I was not injured but it was an incredibly scary thing to experience. I am a 46 year old woman that is very well traveled and was traveling solo. I was grabbed while getting out of a cab trying to get to the Air Madagascar offices.

I would like to say as a solo woman, at no time did I really feel safe. I was traveling independently and using the taxi brousses. There is a tension in the air there that I felt right away upon arriving and it never went away. I never did feel really safe. It will be different traveling in a tour group or with your own car/driver, but you have to watch what is going on around you. Within one week of arrival, I had received 3 emails from the embassy about dangerous situations in the country (there was a mob attack on a sugar factory in Morandava when I was there with the killing of 2 chinese in the factory by the mob). I did a lot of research before I went because of concern about safety traveling solo, and I feel like I visited a different country with the other writings and posts I have read. I left a week early because I just didn't feel safe anymore.

There is an underlying tension there and energy there that you can feel will go off at any time. You have to be aware of this when you go. I think I was more aware and in touch with it because I was traveling independently, but was really surprised to look at other travelers there and feel like they were in a bubble and clueless about it.

I was told by a local that spoke English to take my earring out because people with try and pull them out while walking by in the markets! You can't even wear earring there! The first 2 days I was in the capital, I can count 3 people in my hotel who had been pickpocketed or robbed! You also should not go out after dark because the safety factor just plummets.

Just want to put my 2 cents out there since all I read is "ya it's safe" when I found the reality completely different.

Reply to: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted