We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

I am hopefully going to stay on Nosy Be on a marine conservation course for 5 or 6 weeks. I read that in 2012 there were riots in Tana & I know that the country isn't politically stable. I was just wondering if anyone had been recently and if they had an inkling of what is going on (UK foreign office advice isn't fab). Basically is it safe to go to Nosy Be & spend a few days in Tana?

Also I have heard bad things about air Madagascar. Is it worth using them?

In addition are there any unmissable things to do in Madagascar?

Also I read that getting money out in Madagascar can be tricky as you can't always use a debit card -what would you recommend?

Thanks Everyone

85 replies to this topic
Fort Dauphin...
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
495 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

You definitely DO NOT find the best flights with Sky Scanner. And you definitely DO NOT need to dye your hair.

Morris, MN USA
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

Thanks, Brett Massoud!

Antananarivo...
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
285 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

I do second Brett_Massoud , I know many expats living in Madagascar and nobody has done such a thing ( dye their hair )

Regarding debit cards, I have noticed that if they have the PLUS logo on the back they would work at most ATMs. VISA cards work pretty much on any ATM. as stated before Mastercard only work with BNI/CA ATMs.

ATMs are just not found at every corner of the street like in Western countries.

Just remember it's still a very cash driven economy.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

My wife, my sister and I visited Mada in late December 2012 - early January 2013. Yes it is safe - we are all 55yrs+ and we did not at any time feel unsafe in Tana. Uncomfortable when we took a wrong turn and ended up in a local street market - yes, but unsafe NO!. As for the rest of Mada, no we never felt unsafe or threatened by anyone. Of course you need to take the normal precautions wrt pickpockets in Tana, and probably other cities, but hey that is life. Go to Mada! You wil not regret your visit.

Edited: 6:05 am, April 09, 2013
Antananarivo...
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
285 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

Tim R, thank you for this very objective contribution.

Ulverscroft
Level Contributor
5 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

Hi

We (more 55+ folks!) went in September 2009 soon after the coup. It was fine. The people were lovely. We stayed in an airport hotel in Tana when we arrived, we did not go into the town itself. We got money out of the ATM at the airport.

You ought to go to Andasibe national Park, 3 hrs drive from Tana, and see the indri lemurs - they are fab!

We stayed on Nosy Be and found it very tame compared to the rest of Madagascar! It was the only place where there were any tourists and so there was a tiny bit of hassle, but people immediately took No for an answer and left you alone. Ie they asked me for shampoo from the hotel! One lady on the beach sent her little daughter away and she came back with a mango for us - and this is people who have NOTHING!

We did 5 flights with Air madagascar and had no problems at all - just one flight delayed by 3 hours.

In 2009 there were package tours from Milan to Nosy Be with direct flights from Milan! Lots of Italians in our very nice hotel, Corail Noir.

lincolnshire
1 post
Save Reply
17. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

could anyone tell me who would they recommend me to fly with from the uk and cheap flights im hopeing to visit there for 2 weeks this summer it will be my first time in Madagascar hope anyone can help me please

Antananarivo...
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
285 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

please check Kenya Airways from London connecting via Nairobi, they have pretty good fares.

Otherwise, the usual suspects: Air Mauritius, Air France, South African Airways.

Topeka, Indiana
2 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

Sarah,

Did you end up dyeing your hair.? I will traveling to Toliara in January and staying for a few months to do research. I am German and I also have a light complexion. I would love to hear more about your stay in madagascar.

Ulverscroft
Level Contributor
5 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?

I went in October 2009. ( I am very fair haired. ) I had no trouble what so ever. I was not hassled once except a couple of times on Nosy Be when people asked me for shampoo from the hotel! The people were lovely. The only time a child approached me with an outstretched hand - was when she then gave me a shell. I did avoid the major cities but only because I don't like cities. The people are very poor but so generous. A great place.

Reply to: Is it safe to go to Madagascar?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted