We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishy quotes

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
77 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Fishy quotes

Hi,

I just asked for a quote for 3 weeks in Madagascar for 2 people (private tour) from two different LOCAL companies which are often recommended on this forum. I am very confused as for the same itinerary that I ask for with exact same accommodation their quotes have a discrepancy of 2000€/2600USD! is this normal? Both quotes include the internal flights, car, driver, park fees, guides etc - I can spot no difference. I am concerned that one of them might be trying to rip me off, either by overcharging me or the other by then revealing some hidden costs. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here?

Antananarivo...
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
286 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishy quotes

That's quite a difference. Maybe you could tell us which companies are you refering to ?

Antananarivo...
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
286 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishy quotes

Please make sure you contact a tour operator which have a licence and legal authorization to organize tours. We often see " guides" who promote themselves to organize tours and fool their customers . You have the list of the members of the association of tour operators here:

www.top-madagascar.com/members.php…

If anything goes wrong, you would be able to complain.

Edited: 3:30 pm, February 15, 2013
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
77 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishy quotes

Hi,

These are Tour Operators, but not in the TOP list - but they got such good reviews I decided to contact them first. I hope it is ok to mention the company names. They are Cactus and Rija Tours.

Antananarivo...
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
286 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishy quotes

I would suggest you get a third quote ( send the itinerary and list of hotels and inclusions to couple of tour operators on that list) . It would give you an idea of the real cost of that tour.

Edited: 4:42 pm, February 15, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
1,183 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishy quotes

I used cactus on a 3 week trip and there were no hidden fees at all. As can happen on Madagascar one of our places was a problem (nothing serious) so the next place they upgraded us to an unbelievable hotel and dinner. I did not even ask.

So I suspect cactus quote is real.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
1,183 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishy quotes

I used cactus on a 3 week trip and there were no hidden fees at all. As can happen on Madagascar one of our places was a problem (nothing serious) so the next place they upgraded us to an unbelievable hotel and dinner. I did not even ask.

So I suspect cactus quote is real.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
77 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishy quotes

Hi

I will be asking around for more quotes. Meanwhile I have an idea how much my desired accommodation costs, how much the flights cost and how much the park fees are.

Does anyone have any idea how much I should expect to pay for the car + driver as well as the guiding inside the parks?

is it considered rude to ask for the price breakdown for quotes?

Saint Petersburg
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishy quotes

If I were you try to plan your trip just hiring a car and then you will charge by yourself about the hotel and the entrance fee in the park. For the car try to deal with the owner to make you have a good deal, sedan car is about €uro40/ days without petrol.

About the hotel it will be about €uro20/night for the mid range and the entrance fee in the park is about €uro10/days and the local guide is about €uro18 during all days.

Have nice trip!

Karel

Edited: 2:04 am, February 18, 2013
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
77 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fishy quotes

Thanks Karel for the suggestions and budgeting figures, very helpful

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
1,183 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fishy quotes

I am not sure u can rent a car without a driver. Also depending on where u are going, we drove to the south with our guide but flew back to Tana, while the guide drove back.