We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanks Wendy-- for all your help!

Portland
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Thanks Wendy-- for all your help!

It was great meeting up with you upon finally making it to Tana ! Your helpful posts in this forum as well as your responsive PMs were an invaluable asset as I planned my trip to Madagascar, and your input and gentle guidance went a long way toward making my trip successful. In short, your advice was spot on!

I really appreciated all your help.

Wishing the best to you and your family.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
27 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanks Wendy-- for all your help!

Out of curiosity where did you go and how did she assist you?

London, United...
Level Contributor
537 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanks Wendy-- for all your help!

I agree, Wendy gives great advice!

San Jose
Level Contributor
144 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanks Wendy-- for all your help!

Hi,

I did not use Wendy for our trip but learned a lot from exchanging emails with her. Her advice was very helpfull. We used someone else during our visit (contact me if you want to know more) who has been very good.

Portland
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanks Wendy-- for all your help!

Hi Copperdesk- sorry for the delay in responding to your inquiry.

I had some ideas formed by almost 2 years of monitoring these and other forums. I'd read Wendy's responses to others and finally contacted her to review the itinerary - still a year before I was planning to depart. She suggested several alternaties that in retrospect probably were a better ideas. Not knowing the distances and other nuances, I misjudged and over shot the times. One of the biggest problems was the scammers on this forum-- totally ticked me off.

I was in Madagascar for a month. I did the west, the Tsingy, South to Isalo, and the R-7 from Isalo to Tana. Then went to Masoala, and then to Diego ultimately ending in Nose Be.

I usually travel independently, but given the problems with Air Mdagascar, I really wanted only to make one call when schedules got 'rearranged" and they did. Wendy's husband runs an travel agency, but it's important to note Wendy did not do any 'sell job' on me at all. Ultimately I did work with Ramatour, but I had the itinerary completely arranged, including all my hotels- for which I already had a good idea of the prices. The total price was good and if they made much of a profit, then it was buried somewhere. Since the price was good on my end - that was fine with me. I am all for the small business person to succeed - and frankly in a country like Madagascar-rife with poverty ( US standard being applied....) it's important they do. I checked out big agencies for an idea of their markup, (Cortez and others) as well as independent or local agents ( Rija, Cactus Madagascar, Boogie Pilgrim) and am confident the price I paid was well WELL within reason. More importantly, they showed up; things went well, and when things got changed ( one should expect this w/ Air Mada) they were out in front of it with plenty of notice to us.

All the local agencies know each other; all the drivers know each other: Mada just ain't a big place. You'll probably do OK with any of the local operators ( *I do not recommend going thru a middleman agency outside of Mada). I got to meet Wendy and her family and they're nice people. Her husband's agency provides a livelihood for several people who otherwise might not have the ability to earn the income that comes with tourist who tip ( I do!) and then go on to provide for their own families. In short --> Good goes around. If you check on my travel map-- you'll see I have been around too. these were good decent people trying to scratch out a living and help others as well. They provided what I paid for and I personally liked them very much.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
27 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanks Wendy-- for all your help!

Thanks for the feedback. Greatly appreciated.

6. Re: Thanks Wendy-- for all your help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 03, 2012