We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week trip

uk
Level Contributor
14 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
2 week trip

Hi, Am looking to travel to Madagascar next October with my husband, we want to see the wildlife but dont realy want to spend 14 days on the road, so looking for a few days wildlife watching and then a good week on a beach near to wildlife so we can choose to rest or watch.....

Is it safe to go without a tour company, or is it a better option to have an itenary tailor made....

Any help would be greatly appreciated as havent a clue really....

Thanks,

Sue

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Level Contributor
557 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 week trip

I just visited Madagascar for 10 days and would recommend the following. Fly in from Europe (Rome or France) directly to Nosy Be. There are a few very nice hotels here and you can also visit nearby island as well.

However, I would recomemnd that you stay 3 - 4 days in Nosy Be and one day visit Nosy Tanikely, where they have a great beach and you will get to see Lemurs as well. Than you can also visit Nosy Iranja, do a bit of shppping at the markets etc.

Than I would highly recommend you go to Tsarabanjina Lodge about 90 minutes boat ride away. This is a great place to relax, go sorkleing, fishing etc. It's one of the best places I have been to and can only highly recommend it. Than return to Nosy Be for one or two night and fly out. You can also go on a 2 - 3 day tour to the main island of Madagascar and visit the National Parks there. This can all be booked at Nosy Be if you don't feel like planing all ahead, except for Nosy Tsarabanjina, which you need to pre-book as it's a private island.

And also be carefull on this forum, there are a lot of people giving you advice as they are guides and want you to book with them and often they will try and sell you something or a destination just because they are living there, so just be carefull who you work with. If you need to get hold of a good travel company to book your holiday, please let me know and I will recommend a few to you.

But do go to Madagascar, it is paradise and there's no mass tourism, which makes it unique.

Edited: 4:34 am, July 22, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Lemurs' Park
Lemurs' Park
714 Reviews
Antananarivo, Madagascar
uk
Level Contributor
14 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week trip

Thank you for your post, I will have a look into it and get back to you if I need more help :)

Antananarivo
Level Contributor
243 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 week trip

i have another opinion about this than Namxpert.

I have never been on Tsarabanjina, because I can't effort it. You can see on their website that it's a really small private island.

If you do have that kind of money to spend I would recommand Hotel Anjajave. It's on the mainland and only reachable by private aiplane, but with forest wildlife in the backyard and beautiful beaches in the front.

You do have to travel a bit to see the diversity of the country, but you don't have to be hours and hours in a car if you don't want to.

If you can't effort Tsarabanjina or Anjajavy I would recommand the East part of the country (Andasibe, Palmarium, Pangales) and see some of the highland around Antananarivo and relax on Saint Marie island.

Enjoy, Wendy

Mentioned in this post
Andasibe
Andasibe
Toamasina Province, Madagascar
Palmarium Hotel
Palmarium Hotel
196 Reviews
Toamasina (Tamatave), Madagascar
Antananarivo
Antananarivo
Antananarivo Province, Madagascar
Madagascar
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 week trip

Glad to hear you're planning to visit. In many ways it's best to prearrange services to assure a smooth visit. Keep in mind that October is a very busy month here and best to make arrangements well in advance. This is especially true for internal flights.

Of course, there are many people selling themselves or their company on Trip Advisor and other forums. A good guide book e.g. Bradt guide to Madagascar might be a good place to start looking for someone reliable to work with. Happy to offer suggestions as well.

Your itinerary would certainly depends on your budge and interests. Nosy Be is very popular but more 'typical' of Hawaii in many ways.

Other locations to consider might be Morondava, St Marie, Ifaty or Masoala N.P.

Good luck with your planning.

Mentioned in this post
Morondava
Morondava
Toliara Province, Madagascar
Ifaty
Ifaty
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
923 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 week trip

Susana: I hope you did not mean literally "on the road," because you can't drive by yourself here if you're renting a car. You must have a driver, although the legit rental car companies do not charge for the driver; it's included in the rental.

Having said that, it's difficult to give advice if you have no idea what part of the country you'd like to see. You must take domestic flights if you want to see two different areas of the country.

In our 2 weeks, we went to Masoala National Park (flew to Maroansetra); Kirindy Reserve (flew to Morondava); and drove the R7 between Tana and Ranomafana NP. Nosy Mengabe, which is part of Masoala NP has a beautiful beach and is a rainforest with lemurs.

Mentioned in this post
Morondava
Morondava
Ranomafana
Ranomafana
Fianarantsoa Province, Madagascar
Antananarivo...
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 week trip

All conselors here in this forum seems forget the Masoala Peninsula.

October is the good season to visit Maroantsetra and stay on the beach in true deep an thick rainforest in Masoala. Think about it! I highly recommend as professional, you won't be disappointed.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
923 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 week trip

Sobeha: Read before you post. It's exactly what I suggested.

Antananarivo...
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 week trip

Sorry then! I completely missed the last part of your post. I recognize. It is not that bad anyhow.

9. Re: 2 week trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 pm, August 26, 2011
10. Re: 2 week trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 pm, October 03, 2011