We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toilet habits

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
Toilet habits
Save

Hi,

What's the customs in Madagascar re:toilets? Sit or squat? Water or paper?

Thanks!

Level Contributor
56 posts
18 reviews
10 helpful votes
1. Re: Toilet habits
Save

All of the toilets I used in hotels, restaurants, and gas stations were normal western-style toilets. Sit down, wipe, toss it in the bowl, and flush. I think one or two places had a bin for the paper, but most didn't. Some of the toilets in restaurants/gas stations didn't have seats. Paper and soap were often absent as well, so we carried some paper and hand sanitizer with us. Out in some of the the parks, they had just a shed with a hole in the ground to do your business.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
248 posts
540 reviews
185 helpful votes
2. Re: Toilet habits
Save

It depends on how much money you're willing to spend!

Most hotels and restaurants that accommodate westerners will have sit-down toilets. If you're staying somewhere fancy, there might be plumbing that can handle toilet paper, but nearly everywhere I stayed had bins for you to toss the paper into.

If you end up in truly local places, especially in the middle of nowhere, you may end up with a squat toilet.

Madagascar
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
88 reviews
63 helpful votes
3. Re: Toilet habits
Save

These days it is sit and use toilet paper. When I first came here 30 years ago it was mostly the Turkish squat toilets with, if you were lucky, some water to clean up with, and some of them still remain.

As described above, some places do not have plumbing that can handle toilet paper so they provide a bin to throw your used loo paper in. Pretty revolting.

Most tourist standard hotel toilets can handle the toilet paper.

Bujumbura, Burundi
Level Contributor
523 posts
50 reviews
46 helpful votes
4. Re: Toilet habits
Save

^Unfortunately this thing with toilet paper being thrown into bins is pretty common in many countries in the world. I find it quite disgusting and I've had to deal with it in Korea, Thailand, Lithuania to name a few.

Not in Madagascar though.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
503 posts
89 reviews
65 helpful votes
5. Re: Toilet habits
Save

It also depends on location--if you are using a Nat. Park toilet there may (not?) be paper and there may not be a seat, and as I recall in Zombitse, it was squat. Always carry paper! If you don't use it, that's fine.

6. Re: Toilet habits

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:41 am, December 08, 2019
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.