We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi brousses routes and timetables

3 posts
Save Topic
Taxi brousses routes and timetables

Hi dear travellers,

maybe there is by any chance an online (or not online) source about routes and timetables of taxi brousses? Me and my wife are planning independent travelling in Madagascar and would like to have more information how, from where to take a taxi brousse to travel these routes:

- Tana to Antsirabe and vice versa

- Antsirabe to Ambalavao (for Anja park)

- Ambalavao to Antsirabe or better Ambalavao directly to Tana

Thank you in advance for any help!

Madagascar
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
968 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi brousses routes and timetables

Never heard of one.

And you know the taxi brousses don't have fixed timetables (well, they kind of do) but they go when they are full.

The other thing that you need to know is, taxi brousse don't run short trips like that. The taxi brousse that will go from Antsirabe to Ambalavao is going to be the Tana to Tulear taxi brousse and it is one of the most difficult things to manage, because, you will never know what time the vehicle left Tana, where it is, or what time it will pass Antsirabe. You might get a rough idea by going to the Antsirabe station but they are likely to shrug their shoulders. And then, the other issue is, if that taxi brousse left Tana full, and, no one gets off in Antsirabe, then there will be no place.

If I have for example a friend coming to visit from Antsirabe to Tulear, then we would buy the ticket from Tana (and pay for the ticket for the whole route Tana to Tulear) and get the driver's phone number, and call the driver every few hours to see where they are. to avoid waiting for hours and hours at the station. Then you will need to do the reverse from Tulear to get a lift back north from Ambalavao.

I am not saying it is impossible, Malagasy people do it every day (wait in stations for a car with a space to pass), but I am saying that you might have long waits (days?) for a car to pass that has space for you. Patience is one of the most wonderful virtues of the Malagasy.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
61 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi brousses routes and timetables

Tana to Antsirabe is easy.You have many taxi brousses going from the south station.8000ar

Antsirabe to Ambalavao isnt direct.You have to change in Fianar.Many taxibrousses leave in the morning from Antsirabe to Fianar.

If you are lucky you can do the whole trip to Ambalavao the same day but I wouldnt count on it.Better to spend a night in Fianar.

From Ambalavao back to Tana take a local one early morning to Fianar and then take sonatra+ (cotisse) from Fianar to Tana.25000ar.(you need to book ahead)

If you want to stop in Antsirabe Sonatra+ will charge you the same than Tana.

Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi brousses routes and timetables

I downloaded an app for my Android phone which may help. It is called "Taxibe" by TMS Consulting. It is in French only and seems to provide the cost and a list of operators with phone numbers for major routes.

madagascar-tourisme.com/en/component/content…

London, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi brousses routes and timetables

Hi, From Fianarantsoa to Antsirabe (or Tana) are there taxi brousses starting in Fianarantsoa or will i have to get one that has started from Tulear? (or book with sonatra+ - how do i do this)

Edited: 4:49 pm, August 14, 2017
Paris, France
Level Contributor
61 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi brousses routes and timetables

Of course there are taxibrousses starting in Fianar.To book ahead you call Sonatra+ station in Fianar that s all!

Level Contributor
106 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi brousses routes and timetables

Dear Augustinas T,

James from Drive Mada,

I agree with all the above comments and would just like to reiterate that taxi brousses are unpredictable. They leave when they are full and thus do not have set schedules. I have tried very hard to find a schedule for Antananarivo which appears to be the most organised set of taxi brousses, however, have had no luck.

Additionally, please be aware that you should keep your belonging secure while in a taxi brousse station, specifically the one in Antananarivo. These stations are very busy and petty theft is common place.

Regards,

James

7. Re: Taxi brousses routes and timetables

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 18, 2018