We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Madagascar

Nanaimo, Canada
13 posts
Trip to Madagascar

Hi

My wife and I will be coming to Madagascar in October and we would like to visit Tsingy and Toliara as well as parks in between. Does anybody have suggestions for a good place to hire a car from? Also any suggestions on what to see and places to stay in these areas?

Thanks

1. Re: Trip to Madagascar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:53 am, May 01, 2017
Antsirabe...
Level Contributor
98 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Trip to Madagascar

Hello,

You can combine the west and South via Tsiribihina river trip. You will be delighted on nature, lemurs for 2.5 days cruising down the river, followed by the Tsingy. Then, depending to your time, you can do coastal trip Morondava to Tulear, in the same time adventure and beach. Because you have all wonderful beach in Southern like Andavadoaky, Salary. Then doing the RN 7, with a stop at Isalo, Camp Catta, Ranomafana and Antsirabe. This depends how many days you have.

Christian

Antananarivo...
Level Contributor
126 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Trip to Madagascar

Hi Adrienstewart,

Planning to visit the Tsingy de Bemaraha and Tulear will mean you have three options:

1) Complete loop: Tana > Morondava > Tsingy (Bekopaka) > Morondava > Tulear (via the ocean) > Tana (RN7)

2) Flight: Tana > Morondava > Tsingy (Bekopaka) > Morondava > Tulear (flying) > Tana (RN7)

3) Long loop: Tana > Morondava > Tsingy (Bekopaka) > Morondava > Antsirabe > Tulear (RN7) > Tana (RN7)

The 3rd option will be quite tiring unless you have a lot of time and can stop at a few more places along the way. The 1st option (loop) is the best (in my opinion) but will require a good 4x4 vehicle and experienced driver. The road between Morondava and Tulear is an "Adventure Road" which consists mainly of dirt, sand and untracked land - making it a real adventure.

There's a bunch of vehicles and drivers available for this route on the Drive Mada website.

Regarding, what to see and what to do. You really have the pick of the litter. Tsingy and Baobabs are a MUST combination. You also have the Kirindy Reserve (north of Morondava) to try your luck at the spotting the sneaky fossa. Along the RN7 are some of the most popular parks - Isalo, Ranamofana (my personal favourite) and Andringitra. There is also Lac Trivita in Antsirabe which seemed cool, but I never did it myself.

Have fun planning!

Nanaimo, Canada
13 posts
4. Re: Trip to Madagascar

Hi thank you for all of your information.

I would agree that the loop looks like the best option, but everything I have read says that the ocean side road from Morondava to Tulear takes quite a long time as the roads are in very poor condition. Can you comment on this?

Thanks

Antananarivo...
Level Contributor
126 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Trip to Madagascar

I would plan for 3 days minimum for this route - Morondava to Tulear (or vice versa).

6. Re: Trip to Madagascar

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 pm, May 17, 2017
7. Re: Trip to Madagascar

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 07, 2018