We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Al-Shagara

London England
Level Contributor
47 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Al-Shagara

Am going over Christmas period to Tunisia and Libya with Jules Verne and we are booked into this hotel for four nights. Though I can't change this, I do like to know a little about hotels before I arrive, and there are no postings on the Tripoli forum on Al-Shagara, nor have I found any web-site for it. Any info - where is it near, modern or old, noisy sides etc - would be appreciated; maybe tips from a previous VJV traveller???

1. Re: Hotel Al-Shagara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:04 am, August 23, 2009
London England
Level Contributor
47 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Al-Shagara

Thank you for your reply. In fact the hotel info was incorrect and we stayed in Thobacts Hotel, which I found very good.

Oxford
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Al-Shagara

We are thinking of booking the VJV "From Carthage to Leptis Magna" tour that I guess you must have done. Would you recommend it? It would be really helpful to hear your opinion of the tour. Thanks!

London England
Level Contributor
47 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Al-Shagara

Initially, I was going to write Yes, go for it, but I have had second thoughts. Like most VJV tours - and I've done a lot over the last 10 years - it is very good value, you see a great deal, the hotels were generally fine though the food rather disappointing. But it was very tiring, you are off between 8 and 9 every morning and often arrive at a new hotel (with all the hullaballoo that entails) after 5pm. May depend on your age, expectations and energy levels of course - I am fit but approaching 70 so that affects my regenerative powers!

But also I thought about where we had been and wondered if it wouldn't be more sensible to visit just one or other of the countries - each deserves a 2 week (at least) tour. You do see, on that tour, the top sites in Tunisia and in Tripolitania but it is very rushed. I had tried to book their Grand Tour of Tunisia but it was full, and as I wanted to go over Christmas I had to take what was available; but it has left me wanting to see more of each country. I may well go on the Grand Tour in a year or so. It certainly seems very good value and not quite so rushed. Libya was fascinating - like visiting Spain or the Eastern Med in the 60s before the corruption and pollution of mass tourism - and I'd recommend to all to go there soon as the signs are there of an imminent tourist explosion.

So over to you. I have made several postings, on hotels and the Libyan visit, which you may find useful. Let me know if you have other specific queries. I always find out as much as possible from TA before I go so aim to reciprocate where possible.

Oxford
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Al-Shagara

Thank you very much for your detailed reply, which I found most helpful. I delayed replying until I knew which way I was going to jump in choosing a holiday, which in the end was not this VJV tour. I took a tour just once before and your comments reminded me of (a) the hassle, as you say, of frequently changing hotels, and (b) the feeling at every site - this was Andalucia - that we wanted more time. So although I have booked a tour for the coming holiday, I have restricted it to one country and just 2 hotel changes in 9 nights.

Your enthusiasm for Tunisia and Libya will remain with me and hopefully I shall be able to visit these countries in the not too distant future.

Thank you again for posting - I know that it is all too easy to use others' work and not contribute back!

Cardiff
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Al-Shagara

Hi Guys,

If you want more information on Libya and travelling to Libya, there's a new cool dedicated site were you can get info ask questions in their forum and upload your travel pics its

http://www.livelibya.com/

Hope that helps ross39.

7. Re: Hotel Al-Shagara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:31 am, February 24, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Tripoli