We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bissau safe travel to the Bijagos

Budapest, Hungary
2 posts
Save Topic
Bissau safe travel to the Bijagos

Hi everyone,

Has anyone been to the Bijago Islands? We are planning to go there but would like to know the safest travel.

Is travelling between the capital and the islands safe? Do we need to take any precautions? What about staying on the islands, especially if we would like to go to Canhabaque, somewhere far from the mainland?

Many thanks

Mercado Central
Flea & Street Markets
Bissau Main Market
Flea & Street Markets, Farmers Markets
Mesquita Bissau
Sacred & Religious Sites
6 replies to this topic
England
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bissau safe travel to the Bijagos

Hi Tessa,

I am travelling to the Bijagos in October, we are having a boat transfer from the mainland, not sure when you are going but I will hopefully be able to help a little more once I return.

Budapest, Hungary
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bissau safe travel to the Bijagos

Hi, great!

We are travelling in the middle of October, maybe same time.

Are you renting a boat?

England
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bissau safe travel to the Bijagos

Hi Tessa,

I arrive on the 21st October. I am going as part of a fishing expedition so transfers are arranged as we are being collected and taken out to the island fishing lodges.

I have just been reading a good travel blog that has some info about the ferry though, link is here travelblog.org/Africa/…blog-81284.html

Jason

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bissau safe travel to the Bijagos

I bet Bijagos Islands are absolutely stunning and an unspoilt Paradise. It's just the drug smuggling that the government is involved in that would put me off.

5. Re: Bissau safe travel to the Bijagos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:00 pm, March 02, 2016

Kent UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bissau safe travel to the Bijagos

G-B is very safe. The Bijagos are perfectly safe. Ignore the scare stories. The people are great (unless you mix with the elites who are clearly not)

Travel to bigagos is expensive or slow on the public boats. They are also huge so expect long travel times!

Worth the effort

Reply to: Bissau safe travel to the Bijagos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bissau
More Bissau Topics