We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Guinea Feb/Mar 2012

Plymouth
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to Guinea Feb/Mar 2012

If anyone is heading into the country early next year, would be grateful for travel updates

Dublin, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Guinea Feb/Mar 2012

Bonjour,

J'ai visité la Guinée quelques semaines en arrière en novembre 2012 et ai trouvé ce pays pour être probablement le plus mauvais pays que j'ai jamais été à dans le monde et j'ai été trop un certain nombre.

Son pas le peuple que j'ai eu un problème avec I a pensé qu'ils étaient très bien pour la plupart, mais chaque armée, police, immigration ou fonctionnaire de gouvernement nous avons trouvé par hasard étions essai sérieusement corrompu d'intimider le dessous de table leur manière dans obtenir autant argent comptant hors des gens du pays ou touristes à n'importe quelle heure donnée.

Mon épouse et moi ont été cessés par exemple sur les rues de Conakry pour montrer votre passeport sur place mais j'ai essayé de dire aux fonctionnaires (police/armée) cet I à gauche il à l'hôtel 50m loin pour garder sûr.

La police n'était pas intéressée et procédée de me manutentionner et pas treaten m'au canon du pistolet et ne m'a pas jeté dans le dos d'un fourgon avec mon épouse gauche en pléthores de larmes sur le côté de la route ne sachant pas si elle me reverrait jamais.

La police semble prendre quelques plus de touristes les jetant également dedans au fourgon quoique certains aient semblé avoir leurs passeports avec eux.

Nous avons par la suite atteint notre destination finale à un certain genre de commande 20 d'immigration le lecteur que minute away.i pouvait dire à l'épouse notre endroit exact pour qu'elle m'apporte mon passeport mais la police m'a photographié et a procédé à l'exort plus de $100 de moi de toute façon.

L'épreuve entière nous a faits passer en revue notre séjour dans la Guinée et nous à gauche les heures de pays plus tard en conséquence.

C'était juste un incident de beaucoup dedans juste au-dessus d'un jour et demi mais certainement du plus mauvais.

Veuillez conseiller les touristes potentiels au pays qu'ils rencontreront certainement des problèmes principaux de police, armée, les fonctionnaires de gouvernement qui sont extrêmement corrompus et auront probablement leur temps dans le pays corrompu en conséquence.

Merci de votre attention

Paul

Dublin, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Guinea Feb/Mar 2012

Hi,

I visited guinea a few weeks back in November 2012 and found this country to be probably the worst country I have ever been to in the world and I have been too quite a few.

Its not the people I had a problem with I thought they were fine for the most part,but every army,police,immigration or government official we came across were seriously corrupt trying to bully bribe their way into getting as much cash out of the locals or tourists at any given time.

My wife and I were stopped for example on the streets of Conakry to show your passport on the spot but I tried to tell the officials(police/army)that I left it at the hotel 50m away for safe keeping.

The police were not interested and proceeded to manhandle me and treaten me at gunpoint and threw me in the back of a van with my wife left in floods of tears at the side of the road not knowing if she would ever see me again.

The police seems to pick up a few more tourists throwing them also in to the van even though some seemed to have their passports with them.

We eventually reached our final destination at some kind of immigration control 20 minute drive away.i was able to tell the wife our exact location for her to bring my passport to me but the police photographed me and proceeded to exort over $100 from me anyway.

The whole ordeal caused us to review our stay in guinea and we left the country hours later as a result.

This was just one incident of many in just over a day and half but definitely the worst.

Please advise potential tourists to the country that they will certainly encounter major problems from police,army,government officials who are extremely corrupt and will likely have their time in country spoiled as a result.

Thank you for your attention

paul

Plymouth
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Guinea Feb/Mar 2012

Dear Paul

Many thanks for your update on Guinea and sorry to hear of your problems.

It is difficult to advise on the best course of action in these circumstances; I feel that sometimes as a lone travellor I am left alone, whereas as a couple, you may be targeted more, due to the female presence! Sad but true.

Kind regards

Sydney, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Guinea Feb/Mar 2012

Hi there,

Paul, your story sounds quite serious! I am planning to travel to Conakry for work in May,and as a solo woman, am quite concerned now! Would either of you have any further advice? i have colleagues there, so I hope they will assist in preventing some of these problems.

Thanks!

Conakry, Guinea
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Guinea Feb/Mar 2012

Hello Aussie

What paul mentioned is totally right, but on the other hand this country changed now and things are becoming bit by bit in order, ive been in conakry since 2006 and i saw how the country was and how developed it is becoming, you can come and stay in our Riviera Tauyah Hotel and I will take good care of you, even if the company you will work with provide you accomodation, you can contact me and i will be honored for any help you may need at any time, here is my number 00224 669 61 86 82.

Edited: 5:45 pm, April 08, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Guinea Feb/Mar 2012

Sorry to hear about your bad experience Paul.

I lead overland tours through both the Fouta Djalon in Guinea and all the way through the Forest region.

The police/military are worst around the approach to Conakry. The rest of the country they are nowhere near as bad. Things have actually gotten alot better in recent months, as Alpha Conde ordered the removal of alot of the road blocks after a taxi driver was killed at one of them.

Fortunately for me, I am used to handling the authorities (Nigeria and Congo also particularly bad).

These guys will always back down. I have never paid them a single bribe, i always dig my heels in and refuse.

Key points:

1. Eye contact, absolutely essential. Take off any sunglasses.

2. Take your hat off if wearing one.

3. Don't wear shorts, they will have far less respect for you if wearing shorts.

4. Confident body language, stand up straight, don't fold your arms, and ALWAYS smile.

5. Laughter and humour. Let them know that you know their game. If there is a fee to be paid, it must be officially receipted on government paper, and you want evidence that such a fee has to be paid in the first place.

They will shout at you, and get in your face. The moment they smell fear they will keep going for you until you cough up. Don't let them intimidate you, stand firm, be polite, and maintain a sense of humour. They will soon get bored of you!

Portland, Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Guinea Feb/Mar 2012

David, what tour company do you work for? I am heading for Guinea in December and would like to do some touring.

Conakry, Guinea
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to Guinea Feb/Mar 2012

hello, we the Hotel Riviera Tauyah will be greatfull to assist you with your tours, kindly contact us on info@lerivierahotel.com or visit our website on www.lerivierahotel.com.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to Guinea Feb/Mar 2012

How was your experience. I plan to go in March for a dance retreat.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling to Guinea Feb/Mar 2012

How was your experience. I plan to go in March for a dance retreat.

Get answers to your questions about Guinea
More Guinea Topics