We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling solo to Ghana!

new york
4 posts
Save Topic
Traveling solo to Ghana!

I'm looking to spend a couple of weeks touring Ghana on a limited budget. I wan't to rent a driver for the entire trip. If I have to wing it when I get there, I will but I would prefer to arrange for a driver to pick me up at the airport and be willing to accompany throughout the entire trip. I'm prepared to pay for the drivers expenses while traveling in addition to driving fees. I would also prefer if they could double as "security" while outside the tourist zone and accompany me to the club, beach, market etc. etc. Can anyone recommend any reliable driver that fits this description?

Edited: 2:46 am, December 15, 2012
Ghana Nima Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
Can Do Land Tours, Ghana
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Explore Ghana Tours
Multi-day Tours, Cultural Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
12 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Traveling solo to Ghana!

Which problem will they encounter by having a travel buddy with them

Accra
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Traveling solo to Ghana!

Tricks and tricks and tricks, to get your money, money, money.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1 post
53 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Traveling solo to Ghana!

Hi Jon

Not sure if you already found a good driver matching your description.

I just returned from from a great trip in Ghana, where we travelled alone, travelled with a driver, travelled with family and travelled with a travel agency. So we kind of used all the means of transportation available in Ghana.

I have to say I was incredible supprised about what Ghana have to offer, i read the guidebooks, googled my way and even read travel journals before arriving but in the end we found so much more than all the writers and bloggers had described. By the way if you are on budget the prices from Bradt has changed and there is few tricks and things to avoid to get the price down.

Anyway, if you are interested I have contact to a driver we used which matched your criteria as it was very close to our criteria. Send me a PM if you are interested and I will get back to you.

Best

Fred

Tulsa
2 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Traveling solo to Ghana!

Hi Fred.......I as well am travelling to ACCRA for a month and am looking for a driver...I will be there the month of March. Can you share the driver info with me as well..

Many thanks,

...lynn

Level Contributor
119 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Traveling solo to Ghana!

Hello Fred, can you please send me the driver info too? Thanks!

Accra, Ghana
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Traveling solo to Ghana!

Hey jon

Ain't u coming down with your wife or gf?As I stated earlier you've to be aware of your surroundings everywhere u go.I will advise that apart from the recommended driver(s) don't meet anyone you meet on this forum.These scammers are very skilled at what they do.Don't let them fool you so you can enjoy fully your trip to the beautiful country of Ghana(we have some dirty streets though).So that at the end of day you will return to your country with only nice m emories about Ghana.A WORD TO THE WISE IS ENOUGH!

new york
4 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Traveling solo to Ghana!

This is an unrelated documentary about the Sakawa culture in Ghana.

vice.com/motherboard/mbd-vbs-the-sakawa-boys

This will be my first time in Ghana, I've lived in many rough neighborhoods within New York City and my perception of Ghana is that it is much safer than US cities. Again, I haven't traveled there yet, I will soon find out.

I was hoping I could backpack around and sight see without any disturbances. I have read in many forums that Ghana is a very safe country but you need to barter or you will be taken advantage of.

Kodwo, you have brought up an important issue that readers of this forum should consider, I will consider it as well.

Edited: 11:57 am, February 20, 2013
Accra, Ghana
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Traveling solo to Ghana!

There's no doubt that Ghana is a safer country but just like anywhere else one ought to be smart and that even goes for natives of Ghana like me who may be touring places they haven't been to before

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Traveling solo to Ghana!

Another options is to stay in backpacker places ( which will help your budget) and meet up with other travelers who can go out with you. That might be less awkward

4 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Traveling solo to Ghana!

spam post