We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for hotel

Which Accra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Clermont, Florida
7 posts
Save Topic
looking for hotel

I want to know if in Accra-Ghana or closed exist a hotel named Yamutu Beach Hotel

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for hotel

Why are you looking for this hotel?

Clermont, Florida
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for hotel

Because, I have a friend she's dating online with an american guy. He tell her is in Accra-Ghana doing business. She ask him which hotel he staying and that the name he gave to her. I guess she have some doubt about, and I tell her I gonna do some searching by internet and I don't find nothing. Its this hotel exist there. Another question, How difficult is change travelers check over there? I know about the forex, but if the travelers checks are high denominations the "forex" exchanges those? Or the person have to go to the bank to do that? And How long take to the bank verify and change the checks? Thank you

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for hotel

Likely to be a romance scam. Do not send money.

Has she done video call with this person? Does it match the photos? Or has he been giving excuses?

Is he getting into financial trouble? Lost notebook, got robbed, cant cash travellers checks..etc

Later, he will get into some sort of accident on the way to the airport and she will be asked to pay hospital bill.

DO NOT SEND MONEY

Read www.romancescams.org

Edited: 2:37 am, January 14, 2012
Clermont, Florida
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: looking for hotel

Thank you, but you don't answer my question the "Yamutu Beach Hotel" exist in Ghana. Please, I want to know for show this information to my friend.

Clermont, Florida
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: looking for hotel

Oh, Mr. Lumpur, my friend told me that person send to her address in USA a package with some soccer shoes for the orphanage, and he ask her send this package to USA to Ghana. She opened the package and check the the shoes everything look ok and she send the package to these address: "OSU OXFORD STREET, ACCRA-GHANA, GHANA 00233" He gave a name, but for privacy and security I don't tell you the name. He tell her was for the orphanage. I guess it weird, why he send that package directly to Ghana if he already there? Well I tell my friend be careful with that. Please, cand you give me more information about that. I appreciated, and of course, I told my friend not send any money to him. She only pay for the shipping to the package. Thank you

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
318 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: looking for hotel

There is no such hotel as "Yamutu Hotel" in Ghana. Your friend is being scammed. Even paying for shipping for the package was a bad idea, because those items were likely bought with a stolen credit card: fraudaid.com/solution_center/…1a.htm

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: looking for hotel

What happened is someone is using a stolen credit card to buy the shoes. The delivery address of the shoes was to your friend. So when visa investigates, the goods was shipped to your friend.

Your friend could then be an accomplist to the crime.

If she receives anymore packages, she should just return it to the sending merchent.

Wallington, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: looking for hotel

I have replied to a previous thread to seek clarification about this hotel but now you are again posting about it's existance in a seperate thread.

I share the views of others who find this all highly suspicious but it is not helpful to start one thread and then another without any cross reference.

I am 99% the hotel does not exist. I do not understand the relevant of your question about TC's but in my experience (not personal) you can change them at a very inferior rate and if anyone askes you or your friend for money.

BTW, Oxford Street is the main shopping and entertainment street in Ghana but in my experence addresses in Ghana do not name streets, they are PO Box numbers as there is not a direct mail service. There is an orphanage in Osu but they exist all over any it does not detract from the questionalble aspects of this matter. If you are sensible you will take care and ask your friends to. It is disappointing so many threads on this forum seem to be related to acts of inproprioty - Ghana is a great country and yet the focus of this forum is so much towards scams which are certainly not the norm for anyone who actually visits the country (unless perhaps to see someone he or she has never met!). .

Clermont, Florida
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: looking for hotel

Thank you Mr. Andrew, I already alert my friend, but she join to a dating site and she try to be careful and follow all advise the dating site give to their customers. And before this guy, another try to scammer her with asking money and with the sad story was in Ghana out of money, with problems with his traveler checks and credit card. But inmmediatly she cut all contact with him. These new one apparently is a master and she fall to his lies. But I guess she on time correct the situation and cut again any contact with that kind the person. Like you said, yes, is sad other people or own people from Ghana use the name of the contry or another country for take advantage from good people. But this media its very helpful, for tourist around the world and let them know how to protect himself and enjoy the travel not only in Ghana also others destinations. Once again, Thank you

10. Re: looking for hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, February 12, 2013