We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

As the Destination Expert -- what I will and won't help with

Which Accra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ghana
Level Contributor
387 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
As the Destination Expert -- what I will and won't help with

I haven't been on this website for a very long time, and a large part of it is because, with more and more frequency, I am asked for help and advice in things that really have nothing at all to do with travel in Ghana. It has reached the point where it has been overwhelming, and sad.

So, because I really really love Ghana and its people, and I feel it has so much to offer, I want to offer my help again...

If you have travel related questions about Accra, Ghana or some other destination within Ghana, i.e. accommodations, customs, restaurants, medical care, etc., I'll be happy to offer what assistance I can.

However, if your question is about someone you've never met who happens to be a Ghanaian, I'll direct you to the article I created a long long time ago --

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293797-c64880/Accra:…

If you send me an email, provided that it is travel related, I will be happy to respond.

Barbzzz

Atlanta
Level Contributor
183 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: As the Destination Expert -- what I will and won't help with

Welcome back barbzz. Your knowledge will help people again.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: As the Destination Expert -- what I will and won't help with

As a long term visitor to Ghana i have often seen your advice, its always sound.Keep up the good work barbzz.

Bolgatanga
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: As the Destination Expert -- what I will and won't help with

Thank you and I totally understand that problem.

Gayle

---

All About Life in Ghana

http://gisforghana.blogspot.com

Boston
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: As the Destination Expert -- what I will and won't help with

Well, I'm glad you're back since I just got here!

My wife and I will have 5 days in the Accra area before we begin our volunteering efforts. We'll be there in late June/early July and would love to get some recommendations on:

- suggested itinerary (we're pretty active)

- hotel recommendations (we're looking mid range)

- nice restaurants

We're still doing our research but could use any some suggestions from someone who knows the lie of the land!

Andy

Boston
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: As the Destination Expert -- what I will and won't help with

Well, I'm glad you're back since I just got here!

My wife and I will have 5 days in the Accra area before we begin our volunteering efforts. We'll be there in late June/early July and would love to get some recommendations on:

- suggested itinerary (we're pretty active)

- hotel recommendations (we're looking mid range)

- nice restaurants

We're still doing our research but could use any some suggestions from someone who knows the lie of the land!

Andy

Ghana
Level Contributor
387 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: As the Destination Expert -- what I will and won't help with

Andy, what's your idea of mid-range pricing? Hotels are exorbitant here.

Barb

7. Re: As the Destination Expert -- what I will and won't help with

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:06 am, February 20, 2013
Ghana
Level Contributor
387 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: As the Destination Expert -- what I will and won't help with

Marg, I am sorry. First, this sounds just like the new-fangled version of a typical Ghanaian cyber scam. Second, I can't get involved -- there is just so much money to be lost by a scammer who is confronted that they are dangerous and I'd be at risk.

I tell you what, just confront him, tell him that you managed to find an American who works at the U.S. Embassy and that "he" will meet him at the American Embassy but that he should bring his US passport with him and the Embassy employee you found will have it verified. I am betting that a story will be wrung from that about how he lost his passport or some other such nonsense. Really, an American in trouble goes to the Embassy. It is as simple as that.

Best of luck.

Barb

9. Re: As the Destination Expert -- what I will and won't help with

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:07 am, February 20, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: As the Destination Expert -- what I will and won't help with

Hi Barbzzzz,

Since u are the destination expert I was wonderin if you could help me

My boyfriend and I will be comin to Ghana during summer and we are interested in a villa called Classy Holiday Villas at spintex. We are required though to pay everything upfront before comin and I'm a bit skeptical about that

Do u know anythn about them at all? Is that the norm in Ghana?

Thanx