We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elections in Ghana could affect travel plans?

Greece
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Topic
Elections in Ghana could affect travel plans?

Hi there!

I'm considering to travel this winter to Ghana but also read that it's elections time shortly.

Anybody has idea if this can be a difficult period with unrest and such?

Also in neighbouring Togo they will hold elections...(I would visit there, too, in the same trip)

So maybe should wait and see?

Many thanks !!

Nikos

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
318 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Elections in Ghana could affect travel plans?

Highly unlikely that there would be any trouble around election time, though I would avoid the town of Bawku just in case. Don't know about Togo though.

Accra, Ghana
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elections in Ghana could affect travel plans?

You would receive an eduction to see an election in Ghana. There was an incredibly tight election 4 years ago, with one constituency that had a disputed count. The Supreme Court of Ghana determined that the disputed constituency (Tain) should have a re-vote - and decide the presidency! The re-vote was peaceful and the presidency was turned over to the opposition.

It was an AMAZING time in Ghana and once again Ghana set a wonderful example for all of Africa. A razor thin election win, an area with disputed voted counts, and the opposition winning the election......any one of these things would have caused a huge disturbance in any other country in Africa. But your media probably did not report any of this because everything moved as is should and there was no violence.

So, if this is any indication, it can be expected that this election cycle will not be any cause for concern in Ghana. One more reason why Ghana should be *THE* destination for travel in English-speaking West Africa!

Accra, Ghana
Level Contributor
47 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elections in Ghana could affect travel plans?

No problems in our beloved Ghana. I should have been there to vote but am in London until Jan 1st. I just left Accra last week and the campaigns are heating up. Go, you'll have a great time. I am not sure about Togo but I can guarantee you will not have any problems in Ghana.

Accra, Ghana
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Elections in Ghana could affect travel plans?

Ghana is full of reasonable people just like you find in Europe and the Americas OK?Despite the fact that we're still developing by and large our state institutions are operational to some extent!

5. Re: Elections in Ghana could affect travel plans?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, December 23, 2013