We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting married in Ghana

Huntsville
14 posts
Save Topic
Getting married in Ghana

Can someone please advise me on getting married in Ghana, the regulations and/or customs, getting married at the court house and necessary and required paperwork to make this a legal marriage. I am an American citizen who will plan to marry a Ghanaain possibly in Ghana.

london
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting married in Ghana

my wife who is ghanian (ashanti from kumasi)says, that mainly in ghana its by "tribal marriage" this is where you ask the parents , invite them to a party, you pay some money to the family ( no more than £200)& give them often a drink ,traditionally schnaps-the german liquor. You can then have a blessing in a church.

In Ghana my wife says that "they dont stand much" on the official type of wedding.

We married in england due to circumstances involving british law/ visa problems. my advice would be to marry in America , and then do a traditional marriage in Ghana. we will get around to a traditional marriage in the future.

andybrookestar

london
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting married in Ghana

hi

I just returned to the uk from getting married in Ghana (i'm British he is from Ghana )

If the family are into tradition , like mine then as the previous post said , you would need to have a traditional engagment .

which is the local snapps , money (we did 1 million cedis ) for the brides parents, a bible (for the bride ) cloth for the mother (it sybolizes something to do with the birth ) and a token present for the father.

we did this on the morning of (not recommended) and then had a registry wedding.

points for the registry

1 only 2 places kumasi and accra

2 can only marry on tuesdays and thursdays

3 you have to submit your documents to the registry office which sounds simple but you cant make appointments and have to take your luck if they are there

4 you then have to return and see the chief registrar who acts like he is doing you a favour ! you have to be quite humble if you want him to perform the marriage because just like that he could turn you down.Also getting hold of him was a nightmare and we had to go back twice and wait an eternity untill he was READY to see us .

5 on the day get there Early AS THERE WERE 70 other weddings and it would have been a very long wait.

all in all i found the experience shocking as there was no organisation and no guarantees.

we had a number of one of the workers who saved as a ticket to ensure we were one of the first to be married.

If you need any other info just holla

I forgot

7 u will require ALOT of PATIENCE !

8 u cannot pre book

london
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting married in Ghana

sorry i forgot to say

if you have time on your side you can apply for a nomal marriage licence where they have to put the banners for 21 days.

if like us time is not on your side , then you have to apply for a special marriage licence which you have to pay extra for and takes I think 3-4 days

Toronto
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting married in Ghana

I have no idea if something happened since 1999 when i got married... in Tema, which is some hour away from Accra, depending on what time of the time and how far u get stuck in traffic. I dont recall any rush or standing in line or having to wait patiently, everybody there was really nice. I had a totally different experience. So dont let those posts scare u. The license might need a few days but that's about it. Doing in in Tema Courthouse, I hope they still do it there might save u a bit of trouble.

london
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting married in Ghana

my post was not meant to scare , however that was my experience and i have only just got married !!! I even got help from another ghanian via a friend who had just returned form getting married who acutally helped us through as he was shocked by the lack of organisation as well and though it would be god to pre warn us.

i thought this was meant to be advise as truthefull and honest as possibe.

this was our experience and a friends which and unless you got married last month , i really dont see how you can say i what you

did .

In terms of documents Huntsville all we needed were our passports as evidence of our idenitiies.

Huntsville
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting married in Ghana

Thank you all for you adivce I really appreciate. Taking everything into consideration, it sounds it would be a little easier to get married here at home, in the US.

Ghana
Level Contributor
387 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting married in Ghana

Hello,

I am glad that someone has been able to help tinamin from Huntsville.

I am sure tthat our friend in London who posted of her own experience was not exagerating her experience. Any.time an individual has to deal with any sort of beaurocracy here in Ghana, the experience will be mind-numbing. I have not had first hand experience in getting married here in Ghana (fortunately, NYC Justice of the Peace 18 years ago), but from other issues requiring us to deal with Ghana government, such as Ghana Immigration Service for resident permits, Ghana Lands Department to register our property, to name a few, it has been one delay after another, with no organized structure. Not first come, first served, but often who you know and how much money you "dash" an official to rush your paperwork through.

You might want to consider a legal marriage in the US and a traditional marriage here in Ghana. Friends of ours who got married in NYC by a Judge, then had a Ghanaian friend (actually my husband who was my boyfriend then) perform a libation ceremony at the reception; my husband wore traditional kente cloth and had the calabash and schnapps to perform the ceremony along with the appropriate words requesting the ancestors to bless the marriage.

Barb

st paul,mn
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting married in Ghana

i want to know myself and how much it will cost, or can i just go to the justice of the peace there i will be in ghana may 6th im staying till june 8th i want to know anything if u find out plz let me know also.

Washington
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting married in Ghana

I live in the USA and have recently started an online realationship with a woman from Ghana, she is 32, I am 46, she contacted me through an online singles/dating company. She is very beautiful and seemingly nice and sincere, however, she was very quick to bring up love and marriage. My question is this, is Ghana known for this type of behavior, I certainly don't wish to get involved with anyone who is just looking to become a citizen if you know what I mean? Any of you with similar experiences please share them.

Cheers!

ghana
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting married in Ghana

u can if u love her and if she do too,wel d 2 of u age sothing is bad there.love matters