We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Women beware!!

Leeds
6 posts
Save Topic
Women beware!!

I have been reading this forum for the last three months. Why are so many women taken for fools by The Gambians. They only want your money!! I also tried to help and soon realised I was being used for money. Luckily, I hadn't handed out more than a few quid. I was reading the other day about one poor women who had sold evderything backhome, got married to be treated badly and later thrown out. Dont do it!! Have your holiday, accept the compliments, tip the ones you like, dont believe the sob stories, dont fall in love. Go home forget TG until your next holiday! Believe me these people will have moved onto someone else before you have landed on home ground!!

Dakar, Senegal
Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Women beware!!

Everyone that gets caught is aware of the risks, has seen the warnings but believes that they are the exception and that it is true love. Sex companionship flattery whatever you want to call it can be very tempting to somebody who has an empty life back home.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Women beware!!

It is very sad to see humans treating each other like that. There seem to be many similar stories. Its hard to earn a pound , loose it to someone who doesnt care and be left with a heartbreak. The Gambian men who do this sort of thing spoil it for the real genuine Gambians.

London
Level Contributor
8,455 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Women beware!!

Love to a Gambian is support for thier family and possible visa to U.K.

The other side of the story is the very elderly English females taking advantage of young Gambians, a fraction of their age, just for sex.

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Women beware!!

Whilst most people are aware of the risks, nobody wants to believe it can happen to them, as James as pointed out those who lack love, and companionship back home, can be lead by the heart, refusing to listen to warnings , they will probably fight tooth and nail, to have some love because its good for the soul.

Sadly, there's probably more men who've been fools, but being men don't say anything.

Many tourists flock to TG, looking to find love, many but not all ,get taken in and bamboozled by it all, the wiser heads keep a safe distance from such frivolities.

There is an awful lot of lonely people in the west, makes me wonder why they don't just come together, its got to be less risky, than gambling everything you have in rigged games such as these.

Hammamet, Tunisia
Destination Expert
for Tunisia
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Women beware!!

It's so hard to find a woman/man to love, and even harder to trust, there are also happy endings, where the man/woman have been correct, they get married and live happily, not wanting visa, not wanting money for family, not keep asking for money, just happy there married, but as above, there's a lot of people who have been ripped off , given there hearts, only to find there love of there life, was just using them,

then again, had this done to me by an english woman, got ripped off, after so many years of being together.

all i can say is, no matter where you are in the world, enjoy your life, be with who you want to be with, and just be careful. if in doubt, talk to family and friends for advise, but even then, only you can decide, what to do

Leeds
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Women beware!!

I agree with you athlectico. seems to be lots of good people on this forum. It's easy to get carried by the dream of a life in the sunshine But at what cost!!! Both finacially and emotionally. Has parents we would advise our children not to do i.t

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Women beware!!

Sharma, there are a few nice people on the forum, we often hear of the good things some of them do to help Gambians, my concern is, that some of the people maybe without realising it, could be having the wool pulled over their eyes, sometimes the eyes will refuse to look at, what the heart doesn't want to see.

Money, can often be returned faster than trust and sanity, being a victim to such games can destroy lives and souls.

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
4,539 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Women beware!!

Hi

Beside all of these posts of doom and gloom posts about "women beware", Lest we forget and I will also state that there is also a lot of couples that are married to Gambian partners and they are very happily married too!! So much so that they live in The Gambia and their partners be it men or women would never choose to live in the UK!!

It is a shame that this forum has to resort to such posts like this!! We are all adults and we can be duped by a male or female gigolo where ever we are in the world, the Gambia is no different to any where else!!

My opinion for which I am entitled to!!

Best wishes

Breeze

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Women beware!!

Hi Breeze, hows it going?

Of course there are success stories, surely its an valid idea to warn tourists to be careful, bearing in mind that quite a lot of people go there looking for love.

Breeze, I may often express different view points to you, but I do respect you and I am grateful to you for the way, you have conducted yourself with me on this forum, because you didn't jump on the band waggon when so many others were attacking me for expressing my own opinions, at times I have to say in a way that I am learning from.

London
Level Contributor
8,455 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Women beware!!

I tried to put over the point that its not just the Gambians taking advantage of tourists. Like other countries - e.g Tunisia, Morocco, Turkey etc.. - you tend to get lots of female/male tourists looking for love/sex/companionship etc.. Therefore you get local Gambians thinking every single male/female are there for that reason. There is no excuse for a gigolo duping a male/female tourist but its a situation that gets exaggerated by both parties.

Get answers to your questions about Banjul