We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High Court Revokes Malarone Patent

Ilminster, United...
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
5,813 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
High Court Revokes Malarone Patent

Hi

We often have posts about the ridiculous price of Malarone since some of us know that both the active ingredients are very cheap and that we are paying for the development costs The good news is that Mr. Justice Arnold sitting in the High Court a few days ago revoked the GSK license which means generics will be available here soon The main generic company currently sells malarone in the States substantially cheaper than here and they are paying a royalty fee so we can expect much more competetive prices here soon It wont of course be called malarone since that name belongs to GSK but will be sold as atovaquone/proguanil tablets

london
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: High Court Revokes Malarone Patent

jmpridr, Hmmmm, now that's a concern!

london
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: High Court Revokes Malarone Patent

Thanks for your reply Adrian, I've only just noticed it as you posted a couple of minutes before me. Mind is now rested!

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: High Court Revokes Malarone Patent

An interesting thread which has gone rather quiet. Has anyone actually tried the generic product? If so what to was your experience? I see that Travelpharm are now offering them at £1.75 per tablet compared to £2.25 for the genuine Malarone. But is this enough of a discount to offset the possible quality control risk? For example if you Google "Glenmark Generics recalls" (Glenmark Generics being one of the possible suppliers of generics) you get 77,000 hits, which makes me wonder about whether that is a risk worth taking.

Ilminster, United...
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
5,813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: High Court Revokes Malarone Patent

Hi

What risk? You are correct if you Google Glenmark returns you do get 77000 hits but if you Google GSK returns (the manufacturer of Malarone) you get 377000 hits! Just statistics proving nothing imo It has to be understood that generic malarone is not a new product Its been made for years under a royalty agreement with GSK long before the recent court decision and Im not aware of any quality concerns that have arisen rgds

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: High Court Revokes Malarone Patent

We used the generic ones last time and had no problems with them, we'll be ordering them again for our next trip too

london
Level Contributor
164 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: High Court Revokes Malarone Patent

ive been going for 20 yrs and only used pills on my first two visits . after that i didnt use any and ive never had malaria . they are not reccomended for long term stays . so i used deet only.some gambians have never had malaria either

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,598 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: High Court Revokes Malarone Patent

I go for 3mnts every year and no longer take any tabs,my doc tells me taking malarone for tha length of time will see me off quicker than malaria,but as my pal says it only takes 1 mossie bite to put you down,if i do take a tab its usually doxycycline that i get on perscription free anyway!

Ilminster, United...
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
5,813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: High Court Revokes Malarone Patent

Hi

Malarone has a UK license for 28 days maximum Lariam for 1 year and Doxycycline for 2 years rgds

29. Re: High Court Revokes Malarone Patent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 21, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Banjul