We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomas Cook Airline UK R.I.P.

Ilminster, United...
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Thomas Cook Airline UK R.I.P.

Hi

Thomas Cook have announced that from 1 St March their UK German and Belgian fleets will amalgamate and become one airline the new management are European And the new Chief Operations Officer is Cor Vrieswijk who once said " Im not interested in loyalty if I wanted loyalty Id get a dog" Just read this on pilots network most of whom think it will be a disaster rgds

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,382 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomas Cook Airline UK R.I.P.

And as reported earlier by Reuters :-

reuters.com/article/idUSBRE9140IG20130205…

Ilminster, United...
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomas Cook Airline UK R.I.P.

Hi

Thanks for that link John rgds

London
Level Contributor
8,775 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomas Cook Airline UK R.I.P.

Very sad the original package tour company and once the most respected name in the U.K. high street.

banjul
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomas Cook Airline UK R.I.P.

Last year they nearly went to the wall, the new chief exec Harriot Green looks like she has managed to save the company. But of course more unprofitable routes will go, we just have to hope that UK Gambia avoids the axe, but I would imagine it is near the top of the list.

London
Level Contributor
8,775 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomas Cook Airline UK R.I.P.

Their large presence in North Africa - Tunisia and Egypt - added to their financial problems with the uprisings two years ago. Therefore wouldnt be at all surprised if they scaled down in North Africa as a whole. Whatever they do, sure there will be less choice for consumer.

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomas Cook Airline UK R.I.P.

Here's hoping Jet2 thrown down the gauntlet! Or I fear TC's prices will continue to sore!

I was told a couple of years ago( by a very reliable source) when Thompsons pulled out that the landing fee at Banjul Airport was higher than Heathrow Airport, so this may well be a stumbling block for them.

This was/is one of the unbelievable outrages for the introduction for the departure tax, which is now invisible as its absorbed in the purchase price. Meaning the government gets an arrival tax and a leaving tax!

'Someone's' greed for the tourists sterling will one day be the undoing of the tourist industry that so many in the country rely on.

7. Re: Thomas Cook Airline UK R.I.P.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 08, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Banjul