We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Visiting Gambia.March 2014

First Time Visiting Gambia.March 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:11 pm, April 21, 2015
Edited: 6:11 pm, April 21, 2015
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5,433 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Visiting Gambia.March 2014

Hi Missy,

Welcome to The Gambian Forums...!!!

Go to Your Doctor, For a chat to find out what Malaria Tablets and Injections, best for You.

If they say You need Yellow Fever Injection, You DON'T need it..

Same thing's to Wear, if You were going to Brighton, on the Beach..

Wear Normal Clothes away from the Tourist area.

In the Evening, wear Longer clothes, to Help stop getting Cold and keep the Mozzie's Away..

Mosquito net's are in most Hotels.

Where will You be Staying..??

More Help will come soon...

''.. Rich.......

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Visiting Gambia.March 2014

Missy - as Ric says you need to make an appointment with a nurse at your local surgery - she/he is the best one to give advice on what inoculations you need, we are on our fifth visit this month & still had to go & fill in a travel questionnaire before they would issue a private prescription for anti malarials (which are essential).

With regard to clothes just the same as you would wear on holiday anywhere in the sun, but you may find it a little chilly at night so I take trousers/jeans and a pashmina. A can of Bop (bought locally) and sprayed around the room each evening should help take care of any mozzies etc but a repellent (Boots tropical strength for me) is also advisable.

I remember my first holiday to Africa and it was a total culture shock - but I've gone on to travel to a few African countries since & Gambia is my favourite. My best advice is to trawl back through this forum & look at different threads - & turn up at one of the TA meets when you get there!

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
4,413 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time Visiting Gambia.March 2014

Go with an open mind. It is Africa ! The people in the main are happy go lucky and lovely but in the tourist areas you get "bumsters" who will try and part you form your money by giving you a sob story. A polite No! normally puts therm off but if not get rude.

Do not leave your brain on the aircraft. Yes you are in holiday mode but act as though you were at home and don't be lead astray.

The weather during the day is normally in the mid 30s but it is not aggressively hot so don't be fooled, drink plenty of water and put on sun lotion. As said above you may feel cool in the evenings despite it being around 20 degrees. Wear something long at night and have a wrap or cardigan.

Spray your room with Bop but then go out for the night. It is strong stuff so you don't want to be in the place after you spray.

Go enjoy and chillax.

Edited: 3:46 am, December 12, 2013
Retford, United...
Level Contributor
3,688 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time Visiting Gambia.March 2014

Hi Missy, As a starting point here is the NHS FitForTravel webpage for The Gambia..

fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/…gambia.aspx

bear in mind this list contains jabs that are described as "advised " or "to consider" ... hence the good advise above to consult with your travel nurse/Doc, particularly with regard to anti-malaria tablets as your medical history and any current medications could affect which of the 3 alternatives (Doxycycline/Malarone/Lariam) might be best for you.

england
Level Contributor
5,325 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time Visiting Gambia.March 2014

Anti-diarrhoea medication is a must. Malaria tablets commonly list it as a side effect, the local hygiene is poor and the money filthy. It will be very hot but apparently showing thighs is considered rude so cover them when off the beach/outside your hotel. Mosquito repellant also a must. Take a first aid kit. Take money to get clothes made to measure while you are there.

Everyone is after your money. Most will be polite about it but quite a few don't take NO for an answer and a few will be quite rude. Tell them it discourages you from going back.

Take spare toiletries as they are expensive and appreciated by your hotel staff. Take spare ibuprofren, valued for its use to those recovering from malaria. Dont take pencils for the schools - of you want to visit and hand them out buy them there, (they were 12 for 25 dalassi in the minimarket outside the Bakuto hotel). Do take first aid equipment, plasters as keeping wounds clean isnt easy, posters for the walls, unwanted clothing. if you are old enough to have old reading glasses take them and donate to the tailors. If you are younger take any old school uniform you still have.

6. Re: First Time Visiting Gambia.March 2014

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

7. Re: First Time Visiting Gambia.March 2014

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
4,413 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time Visiting Gambia.March 2014

Hi Missy, The last case of any European dying from Yellow Fever was over 30 years ago and that lady was miss diagnosed when she returned to Belgium and she had medical problems in any case. She had also been into "the jungle" bird watching It is however your choice and it does last for 10 years.

Carry a small bottle of hand cleanser / disinfectant with you and use it before meals and after handling some of the small denomination bank notes.

Edited: 4:35 am, December 12, 2013
9. Re: First Time Visiting Gambia.March 2014

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
3,688 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time Visiting Gambia.March 2014

Missy the Yellow Fever topic has been discussed many a time, and will be again I'm sure. The 2 sides of the argument come down to

a) Against having the jab - there has not been a reported case of YF in The Gambia for over 25/30 years and that any protection would only be needed if you were travelling many miles up-river.

b) In favour of having the jab - Better to be safe than sorry, yes it is expensive at around £50 to £60 but the certificate lasts for ten years and the World Health Org states that the jab should give life-long protection

www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs100/en/

If you want to read some other threads about it :

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293794-i9249-k6…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297575-i9250-k6…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g479201-i9768-k6…

Get answers to your questions about Gambia