We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flight hold up

Halifax, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
flight hold up

was anyone on the flight back from Banjul airport gambia..march 23rd 2009...it was held up three days due to a technical problem.was any compensation paid out.it was with Thomas cook airlines

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
157 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: flight hold up

Hi we were parked at Brittania hotel so not actually at airport but got free parking as stayed there before our flight and had booked for return overnight stay. Thomas Cook did try to repair the plane, birdstrike was the problem. Boarded some passengers but then decided not good to fly so everyone off. They did put people up in good hotels, Ocean Bay, Kairaba, Sunbeach but we were taking back to airport next day as technician had been flown in to repair plane but failed. Back to another hotel, good way of checking hotels out!! On third day back to airport and this time success. Only sad thing was that as were leaving had given away mossie repellant, toiletries etc. and were running out of essential medication, some people had run out of money so possibly did not have a great time on the extended stay. Due to the amount of time spent at airport Luigi's did well but our pockets didn't. Personally I couldn't be bothered to claim, seems to be a lot of hassle and would affect future policies. Just put it down to experience, fortunately self employed but if in employment may have caused problems.

London
Level Contributor
8,189 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: flight hold up

some people had run out of money <<<<< amazes me the people holiday in places such as Gambia and have no contingency plans regarding money. You may not use a credit card on holiday but should always have one for contingency.

London, United...
Level Contributor
247 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: flight hold up

By the way, next Wednesday nights watchdog is featuring flight delays by Thomas Cook and monarch and refusing to pay compensation... Might be relevant to a few on this thread...

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: flight hold up

I'll be watching it with interest Gingerbells - and for anyone affected look at Martin Lewis's website (moneysavingexpert.com - flight delay compensations) there's a thread for each airline - they're all handling it differently - and surprisingly the worst offender is Jet2. They take EVERY case to the small claims court & defend using a firm of London Solicitors. At least Thos Cook have had the decency to pay out to some when they have been in the wrong.

Halifax, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: flight hold up

just thought I would let you all know my flight hold up of three day stuck in gambia..due to a bird causing the problem in the engine....Thomas cook paid up.so im well pleased..lynne

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: flight hold up

great news for you lynn hope you spent/spend it on something nice :-)

Scarborough, United...
Level Contributor
420 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: flight hold up

Our flight home last year was delayed over 6 hours due to technical problem. took ten mins to write claim letter, a couple of weeks later got over £700 back from tc. no hassle, no quibble. Maybe we were lucky but pretty much paid for this years flights

Ilminster, United...
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
5,813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: flight hold up

Hi

lynne I

I was the first to respond to your original post and was sure they would have to pay up Although the bird strike wasn't their fault their failure to have acceptable contingencies in place certainly was Pleased for you Were you happy with the amount paid ? rgds

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
157 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: flight hold up

Well done, perhaps the we should all have claimed but we had a lovely three extra days in the sun shine.

Hopefully you have put it towards your next holiday.

Regards,

Alma

30. Re: flight hold up

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, March 02, 2015