We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Return to childhood home.

wales
Level Contributor
322 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Return to childhood home.

My dad lived in Gambia for a short while with his parents in the 1950's. Now in his mid 70's he recently said how much he would love to go back there to see his childhood home and surroundings. He lived well up river in Gambia towards Basse. I was just wondering if someone could give me suggestions as to how he could combine a trip to one of the beach resorts and arrange for a travel firm or taxi company to transport him and my mum up to the area with a night or two in the region?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Return to childhood home.

Hi Hergest,

Welcome to The Gamian Forums...!!!

Easy Peasy, When would he like to go..?

Kololi would be a Good Start, He won't recognise the place..

Be better grabbing a Taxi Driver for the Trip, Pays lodgings for Him give him Food etc. work out very Cheap..

Rich........

Edited: 12:01 pm, December 29, 2012
wales
Level Contributor
322 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Return to childhood home.

He is open to suggestions about the best time to visit, he remembers a very rainy season though! He was based on Macarthy island which i believe is now called Janjanbureh. Would it be possible to hire a vehicle and drive himself, or is it not recommended due to safety issues? Is there an agency that provides drivers for these trips if you think it is not a good idea to drive himself?

Market Harborough
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Return to childhood home.

Avoid July to October.

I was in janjanbureh a year ago...quaint, quiet old town...I doubt its changed much since he was there !

There are no hotels as such, so you will be roughing it a bit ! Bird safari camp is a decent place to stay, just out of town. Hidden Gambia could arrange the whole trip for you, but it will come at a price !!

I def don't recommend driving yourself.., and public transport will be long and arduous, so if you don't use hidden Gambia your best bet is to hire a car and driver for 2 or 3 days. I would leave that till you are here and have found a taxi driver you trust and get on with...its a long journey from the coast !!

Hope he enjoys it.

Edited: 11:53 am, December 30, 2012
wales
Level Contributor
322 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Return to childhood home.

Is the advice not to drive himself due to bad road conditions or is there a risk of muggings in Gambia? He has looked at photos of janjanbureh and said that it looks pretty much as he remembers it. I will have a look at hidden Gambias prices and see how extortionate they are and let him know.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Return to childhood home.

Take you 2 Days to get There, as I said before Grab a Taxi Driver..

Muggings, wouldn't see any of those, it's The Gambia and very Good especially Up River.. The Roads are a bit rough, There are places on way to Stop the Night, But not Many.

Bakau, Gambia
Level Contributor
3,319 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Return to childhood home.

As a relative newcomer to gambia well a 5 yr newcomer ,reading this post has set me thinking ,and im sure someone will have the answers to my questions ,Has their ever been any form of river transport running up the length of the river say up to Janjanbureh and even up to Fatoto that is something i would love to do ,and surely in the past it must have been done ,im not talking the nile type cruise floating hotels but more a slightly larger version of the African queen ,it must have been done and if so why not now ?,

As someone who spent a long time at sea working and if time was on my side thats the type of set up id love to have been involved in ,i wouldnt want to make money out of it just enought to cover costs and would be quite happy just to make enough for liveing expenses,

Wheres a lotery win when you need it something 40'-60' with accom'for say 8-10 people who would be prepaired to rough it for a week and see the real river Gambia you couldnt put a price on it ,

Market Harborough
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Return to childhood home.

You can do it comfortably in one day....the roads and driving standards are the reason not to self drive, not muggings.

When you are there pop into the police station...you are fine to do this, ...it is like going back 50 years !

Save Reply
8. Re: Return to childhood home.

Hi mate you get there with no time if you cross from Banjul and get to BARRA and a local cab there road is good and cheap

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Return to childhood home.

I think 'Gambiancontain' idea is fine if your NOT in your mid 70's. I'd go for the option of hireing someone to drive you.

Drove there myself last January, but it was my Gambian friends car and the only reason I drove was that he didn't have a licence!!! as many dont. The roads on the south bank were excellent and only took about 5-6 hours, driving in the evening/night so wasn't too hot and didnt need to stop very often. I'm sure your father will love to see it all again. Its very unspoilt and up country has barely changed in the 23years I've been visiting it.

Ilminster, United...
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
5,737 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Return to childhood home.

Hi

Oldhamjeff

Yes there was a regular ferry named after the then Presidents wife "Lady Chillel Jawara" that ran from Banjul to Basse stopping at all large towns It ran into a sand bank and capsized on its last journey 3 British tourists from Coventry and a small baby were drowned The hulk is still visible rgds